Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bun Roasters - Pro or Con?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Bun Roasters - Pro or Con?

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Watching the latest Property Brothers show (I find myself addicted to them since our move and major remodel a few years ago) and something came up that seemed odd to me.

First, I should say that I like fireplaces - we had four wood burning ones at our old house and we have four gas fireplaces at the new house. That being said I am naturally cold blooded (our house is kept at 65 F.) and sitting beside a fireplace isn't my preference unless it is really, really cold out.

The show has the owners agreeing to the creation of a large dining room in the existing room with a fireplace at the end of it. That, plus their desire for a large/long table relegates someone to the end seat, sitting right in front of the fireplace.

Does that make any sense at all? You can't really see the fireplace as it is behind the poor guy who is roasting in front of it and even with no people present it would be largely obscured by the table and chairs.

Does anyone have or is in favour of a fireplace in a dining room?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bun Roasters - Pro or Con?

by Jenise » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm

I'm only slightly less cold-blooded than you, and so it's a no for me. The only times I've seen DR fireplaces is in much older homes that, at one time, like your two houses, wouldn't have had central heat.

I have, a few times in life, been at a big dinner in an older home and even a restaurant where multiple table extensions caused a few unlucky diner(s) to be seated with their backs to a fireplace. Worst place in the room, and a near-death experience--and will you forgive me for observing not entirely unlike being on the south side of your Palmerston garden tables at a summer terrine dinner!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Jenise wrote: Worst place in the room, and a near-death experience--and will you forgive me for observing not entirely unlike being on the south side of your Palmerston garden tables at a summer terrine dinner!!!

If I could have arranged a six hour long solar eclipse, I would have...... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 pm

I read the thread title thinking this was yet another advanced American technological apparatus that had yet to reach our shores
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:40 pm

:mrgreen: Rather a very old English technology (12th century - don't get me started on it as I once did a paper on that and the social changes it made possible). An issue that arises from remodelling homes with fireplaces in rooms where you wish there were none.

The guy we bought our house from was fireplace mad - he had four of them installed and happened to tell me hw as planning on a 5th one in the dining room. I told him that unless it was large enough to roast a sheep on a spit I couldn't really see the point. (Glad we caught it before he got around to it - we'd have had to block it up as there is barely room for our giant dining table plus a couple of sideboards as is).
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:04 am

Silly me. At first I thought it was a new appliance for toasting hamburger buns. Then I thought but single use appliances are generally frowned on in this community. Then I read the posts.... silly me
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Me too.

Bun as slang for buttocks not in use here.... yet!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm

Peter May wrote:Me too.

Bun as slang for buttocks not in use here.... yet!

Pretty close to "bum," though.