Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Deviled Eggs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

RCP: Deviled Eggs

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:38 am

I had to make deviled eggs today. 18-count eggs were going for 89 cents at a market.

Years ago I tweaked a simple deviled egg recipe into something that's super-duper, IMO. People love 'em. And at a party, it's fun to watch the eggs disappear so fast it's like a flock of vultures flew by.

Larry's Deviled Eggs

6 hard-boiled eggs, cut in half, yolks removed to bowl.
Add 1/4 cup mayo (or more if the mixture gets too thick)
1 tsp vinegar (I use apple or sherry, usu.)
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
Few grindings of black pepper
A dash or two of Worcestershire sauce
A dash of liquid smoke
A dash of ground cayenne pepper

Mix thoroughly and fill empty egg whites. (I use a cookie press with a star tip to fill the eggs; a pastry bag would probably work, too.) I then usually sprinkle the tops with a little cayenne or smoked paprika.

Now see how fast they disappear. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Deviled Eggs

by Jenise » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Look good! Deviled eggs seem to be trending up. Or maybe it's just that they've never stopped being popular in the south, but we saw them on Nashville menus several times in the week we spent there a year ago right now. Indeed--back when I used to socialize anyway--devilled eggs are amazingly popular at parties. With the fad of keto diets, I'll bet even more so.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:52 pm

I love deviled eggs! I can't attest to their trendiness, but here in the Upper South/Border Country a lot of fancy restaurants offer them as apps, usually in a set of six halves set out on a purpose-built tray, each flavored in a different way.

I could eat a lot of those, but gimme local pastured eggs regardless of the price. I know too much about industrial egg production. :P
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:07 pm

When I had my own chickens, my eggs were great, with dark yolks and different-colored shells--including green. (Shades of Dr. Seuss!)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 pm

My mother-in-law makes good D.E. If it's trendy, it's been trendy for 70 years!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:23 am

Devilled eggs were a must on any entertaining platter in the 1960s. I watched my mother and the lady who lived next door making them for many, many hours as a child. CWA meetings, Red Cross meetings, weddings catered by either of those stalwart organisations, church socials, supper when people came round to play cards - devilled eggs. Of course, eggs were in abundance because everyone had their own chooks.

I liked them back then, and I like them now. Tasty!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:09 pm

I can’t resist tinkering with seasonings although Larry’s recipe is a classic and is a definite taste memory. Anchovy, capers, pestos of various sorts - ramp, dill, basil, harissa, etc make appearances depending on the rest of the menu. I use a smoked pimienton rather than liquid smoke if I want that note. What I really love about deviled eggs is garnishing them. A guilty time waster but oh so useful for using up choice leftovers like smoked trout or salmon
Mamma Mia !