Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hasselback Celeriac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Hasselback Celeriac

by Peter May » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 am

I read this recipe today and am tempted to give it a go but I'd like to know if you have any thoughts on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/f ... eera-sodha

It is the celeriac roasted as hasselback that interests me, I don't expect to make the tahini sauce or salad or to serve it on bread.

I've not used (or had AFAIK) miso before, is the miso glaze essential, or is the roasting sufficient?

brown rice syrup appears to be just sugar https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/br ... ood-or-bad
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hasselback Celeriac

by Jenise » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:42 am

Pete, I often glaze fish with miso--the flavor's outstanding but equally so is the crust the miso adds. For both reasons but perhaps especially the latter, the miso would be an enhancement to this dry vegetable. I'd love to try it! Btw, when I hasselback a potato, I brush it several times with barbecue sauce--love the flavor but I especially love the extra crust that defines the petals of the potato.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 am

Thank, Jenise, just what I wanted to hear.

Will I be OK brushing White Miso Paste on its own, or is the syrup essential to give it stickability?

I now have the celeriac and Miso Paste on order. I want to avoid syrup on grounds of sweetness and calories
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Heck no on the syrup. But you'll need to dilute the miso to make it paintable--water would be just fine. I often fresh citrus juice for a fish glaze but to be honest I wouldn't want sweet on the celeriac.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm

As an aside, brown rice syrup is very sweet, has no fructose, but has a glycemic index of 98 (extremely high).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Another aside, miso paste contains a bit of salt. You won't need to add any. The addition of the sweet syrup might have been an offset as much as anything.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Another aside, miso paste contains a bit of salt. You won't need to add any.

Thanks, but I wouldn't dream of adding salt when roasting anything.

Celariac and miso paste now added to next supermarket delivery, hopefully will be making this during week of 22 Feb
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Oh I know you wouldn't, you're very careful about salt. I was just warning you.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am

So I made Hasselback Celeriac last night, using the recipe linked to above with the exception I did not use brown rice syrup in the miso glaze

20210223_hasselback-celeriac-1.jpg

This is one view of how it looked after 90 minutes roasting, plus 15 minutes with miso glaze.

20210223_hasselback-celeriac-2.jpg

This is another view.

As I mentioned above,I didn't serve it on flatbread with the onion salad and tahini dressing

20210223_hasselback-celeriac-lentils.jpg

instead I served it with lentil Tarka Dahl

20210223_brocolli-stirfry.jpg

with a side of stir fried broccoli in oyster sauce.

It was difficult to make vertical cuts in a large tough celeriac, but cuts at an angle risked cutting out a slice, so where i found the knife at an angle I stopped before going the full depth.

I used a pastry brush to coat the celeriac inside and out with olive oil. After 45 minutes the fans had opened with those at the end lying flat on the pan. That made it easier to brush the second coating of oil. After another 45 minutes it was time to brush on the miso glaze. As I didn't use syrup the paste was probably thicker, and that helped stick the leaves of celeriac back together.

All the same, the recipe photo of the celeriac shows the leaves close together, while my photo shows wide gaps.

We did not enjoy this dish, the celeriac was tasteless, the miso did nothing for us. Mrs M, who is not a chilli lover was not even aware of the presence of the Aleppo chilli flakes; neither could I taste them.

I don't think hasselbacking the celeriac was necessary, one may as well cut slices to roast.

We won't be having this dish again, it's back to roast cauliflower steaks which do have a pleasant nutty taste after roasting - and do not need 1h45 in an oven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 am

Oh well...

But the broccoli with oyster sauce looks good. I'm a fan of oyster sauce.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 pm

It was, and so am I.

I wish the papers had the person that writes to column take the picture of what they've cooked rather than a 'food stylist' prepare it. Did they actually duplicate the recipe, which would take at least 2 hours with preparation and cooking, or just simulate it with paint on an uncooked celeriac?

There was a recipe in this Sunday's Telegraph that I am going to try, but although the recipe writer is insistent that the chicken thighs are 'skin off' the accompanying photo shows skin on.

See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/p ... en-recipe/
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:18 am

Those hasselback celeriac look very good.