Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking for the Bowl?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cooking for the Bowl?

by Jenise » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:50 pm

We're watching at my brother's. They're doing our Hungarian step-mother's tamale pie. It's a dump recipe--everything comes out of cans except the ground beef, but strangely delicious. I'm taking a Tokaji in her honor for after the game and a mag of Beaujolais for during. Also, I made two quarts of homemade roasted tomatillo and guajillo salsa to go with chips and a big vat of marinated vegetable and shrimp escabeche as a low-carb defense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Cooking for the Bowl?

by Christina Georgina » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Cooking for the evening.....we don't have TV and will not be watching but in a nod to the game made rye pretzels with a beer dipping sauce for lunch. Very late dinner will be a multi mushroom risotto followed by winter salad with arugula, escarole, fennel, pomegranate, pistachios. Can't wait to see the commercial hits.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Cooking for the evening.....we don't have TV and will not be watching but in a nod to the game made rye pretzels with a beer dipping sauce for lunch. Very late dinner will be a multi mushroom risotto followed by winter salad with arugula, escarole, fennel, pomegranate, pistachios. Can't wait to see the commercial hits.

Hard or soft pretzels?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:54 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Cooking for the evening.....we don't have TV and will not be watching but in a nod to the game made rye pretzels with a beer dipping sauce for lunch. Very late dinner will be a multi mushroom risotto followed by winter salad with arugula, escarole, fennel, pomegranate, pistachios. Can't wait to see the commercial hits.

Ooh, love the sound of that salad! Now you've made me all nostalgic for the tapas place down the street from me. Not the usual menu, they draw on a Sephardic tradition: https://web.archive.org/web/20180215172503if_/http://lavarany.com/menu/
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Soft pretzels, Larry. After the King Arthur recipe for Rye Pretzels with beer cheese sauce. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... uce-recipe with 50%rye and the cold retard.
The only difference I made was to use non diastatic malt instead of honey.

I tried many rye recipes from Ginsberg's The Rye Baker but gave up because there is no uniformity in rye milling/labeling/packaging and I did not want to spend the huge shipping costs to order from his company to replicate his recipes. I decided to work with KA recipes until I get the feel for rye. A great show on YouTube is King Arthur's Isolation Baking Show. Jeffrey Hamelman is a master at rye and a great teacher. He did traditional German pretzels with a lye bath. Lye is too risky for me so settling on the baking soda/malt bath
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:11 pm

Jeff, will add La Vara to the list you gave me. Wonderful menu ! Thanks
Mamma Mia !