Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New McGee book

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

New McGee book

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm a fan of Harold McGee, and placed a hold on his new book Nose Dive: A Field Guide to the World's Smells at the library. Smells are important in cooking, eating, and even writing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New McGee book

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Ha! Thanks for the alert, Larry! I just grabbed the e-book from the Louisville Free Public Library. I guess the word isn't out yet. :)

https://lfpl.overdrive.com/media/5329692
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:35 am

Cool! Didn't know about it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 am

So far I've read a few chapters, and I'm enjoying it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm

What have you learned?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Jenise wrote:What have you learned?

Wrong thread? :lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Jenise wrote:What have you learned?

In the 1st part, which I've read, I learned about the chemical bonds and composition of the simplest smells since the beginning of time to life on Earth. I'm now in the middle of part two, which covers animals: dependence, mobility, and microbiomes.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:29 pm

I finished Nose Dive yesterday. What a fascinating tour de force! It took McGee over ten years to write it. I certainly learned a lot. But a caveat: it's not a page turner as with a novel. It's partly a chemistry book with some narration. I can see it as an reference book that can be referred to as needed or if you're curious about some odor.

Here's a quoted tidbit for you wine lovers:

"Wines can end up with undesirable smells, which include an excess of volatile acidity in the vinous bouquet or of the sweaty-saddle volatiles produced by Brettanomyces. Musty, dank cork taint is caused by fungal growth on chlorine-disinfected cork stoppers. In smoke taint, grapes exposed to smoky air detoxify the phenols and guaiacols by bonding them to nonvolatile sugars; later, grape and yeast enzymes release them during fermentation, as do mouth microbes during drinking! Ladybug taint is a green-pepper, asparagus smell that results when too many of those helpful insects end up crushed along with the grapes. Then there's fruit-fly taint: if you see a fly overcome by the bouquet of an open glass or carafe, fish it out quickly! Female drosophilia carry a waxy-floral aldehyde as a pheromone to attract males, and can leave a detectable off-odor in the glass within minutes."