Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need help: Kitchen oven placement

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

natosha.jacobs

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 am

New York, NY

Need help: Kitchen oven placement

by natosha.jacobs » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 am

This is a 100 yr old home so.... quirks. The stove is next to a window (mudroom) and needs some ventilation, most likely a recirculating hood that won’t vent outdoors ... my question, do we move the oven over a bit and install a filler cabinet next to the window? Or will that make the countertops too choppy? The concern is having a hood that sticks out past the window (was thinking about a basic fan with a box of some sort built around it). We’re doing kitchen refresh so getting new cabinets, sink/faucet, and countertops and an open shelf on this wall... or, any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Natosha Jacobs
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Need help: Kitchen oven placement

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 am

Welcome, Natosha.

Tough one. I never like stove-next-to-window because that window is bound to get greasy/dirty and stay that way. So I agree with your sentiment to move the stove over a bit but that whole wall arrangement is really tight on space. Moving the stove over means half-width cabinets on both sides or having the stove up against the sink (which I'm not thrilled with, either).

Dumb question section:
1. Is that a fridge or a dishwasher under the cabinet, right of the sink? If it's a fridge, can it go someplace else?
2. Can that sturdy table be replaced by an island with cabinets? Can you re-plumb slightly to get the sink onto the island?
3. What's on the other walls?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:57 pm

I'll add to Jeff's questions a concern about adding a hooded vent vs. the kind that's part of the stove, it pops up behind the cooking surface. The latter type is made for situations like yours. Would be even better if it could be put into an island opposite that wall so that it doesn't have to compete with your sink/cleanup area.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm

Depending on dimensions and what else is going on opposite wall I might consider adding a peninsula that is adjacent to that doorway on the right and comes toward us in the photo view. Make that peninsula the cooktop with a downdraft hood as Jenise suggests. The dishwasher?fridge that is to the right of the sink can go where the stove is. Still projects beyond the window but without knowing the rest of the room there may be no getting around that. You don't have to lose the corner space of the peninsula if you leave the reverse side for open with pullout shelving for storage which might in fact give you more storage space and definitely a prep or landing space on top to the left of the peninsula cooktop.
If that doorway is the only entry into the kitchen then an island would be better for traffic flow.
If retaining the appliance under the counter to the right of the sink and it is moved don't forget to consider if R or L hand opening if it is a fridge and clearance for window sill for any opening type
I would also consider open shelving on the sink wall. You can get a lot of additional storage and be quite decorative. I love having stuff that I use frequently to be right at hand without rummaging around in cabinets.
Keep us posted. Fun to think about these problems !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:56 am

Welcome, Natosha
Good comments from all. But, I just completed a full house remodel with specific focus on the kitchen. I would suggest that this is not an area where you want to get suggestions from friends, family or online associates. It’s worth it to spend a few coins to get the expert opinion of a professional space planner with specialty in this particular room. They are able to see possibilities where we lay people are not. Most of them also have the knowledge about best appliances that will be best companions to stand alone systems or that are designed for kitchens with your space considerations. From my perspective, try to keep as much contiguous countertop space as possible. Changing where you move the stove on its current wall and, depending on whether you end up with a different appliance, may mean a loss of some of that counter space. The loss of just a couple inches can make a big difference in how you can then use the space. Or perhaps the, what looks like a chopping block rather than a table adjacent, that will not be an issue. The type of pop up draft Jenise speaks of and downdraft venting systems for stoves are limited with few options. They also don’t have the same exhaust power as hooded systems. Good luck.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 am

Hear, hear, Jo Ann. Kitchen planner or architect, someone who understands what a work triangle is. No offense intended for any commenters.
no avatar
User

natosha.jacobs

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 am

New York, NY

by natosha.jacobs » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 am

Thanks for reply Guys
Natosha Jacobs