Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What I learned today

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:42 pm

Speaking as an ice cream cook... I always have leftover whites, 4 or 5 at a time.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Speaking as an ice cream cook... I always have leftover whites, 4 or 5 at a time.

How long do you keep them? Do you freeze them?

We sometimes have leftover whites when my wife makes dishes, and she leaves the whites in the refrigerator. But then we never use them and throw them away a few days later.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Speaking as an ice cream cook... I always have leftover whites, 4 or 5 at a time.

How long do you keep them? Do you freeze them?

We sometimes have leftover whites when my wife makes dishes, and she leaves the whites in the refrigerator. But then we never use them and throw them away a few days later.

If I don't find a use for them within 3 or 4 days then His Majesty throws in one more whole egg and serves hisself an omelette.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:18 am

Egg whites freeze really well. I just put them in an airtight container, remember to
label with the number of whites.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:50 am

Can’t remember where I saw or read this.... but someone was saying they always Sauté their garlic in Unheated oil to begin with and then increase the temp vs heating the oil and then tossing in the garlic..... easier to control/avoid burning was the rationale.....any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:23 pm

John, I agree with that--or at least, on medium low heat. Garlic has high sugar content and burns easily, and it gets bitter if browned. This is why in recipes calling for both onion and garlic, they'll always caution you to wilt the onion a bit before adding the garlic. In the time it takes to color the onions, the garlic could burn.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Today I learned that the brand name 'Crisco' was derived from CRYStallized Cottonseed Oil. Nowadays it's a mixture of fully and partly hydrogenated soybean and palm oils, none of which bothers me since I don't use it at all. Nonetheless, found it interesting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:35 am

I learned today that nutmeg works very nicely with schmalz.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:42 pm

I learned that my husband can't be trusted to keep an eye on the toaster oven.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:30 pm

I just learned that rolling pickles inside ham/cream cheese layers, then slicing them, is known (mostly in the Midwest) as 'Lutheran sushi'. I'll pass.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:18 am

That's funny!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:47 am

Actually learned last week, but let’s not be picky :)
The blue cheese did not go at all with my steak. Seemed like a good idea. No. Brought out a weird, sharp sweetness that was detrimental to both elements.. scraped off smartly and headed for the mustard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

A restaurant in Anchorage, where we once lived, was famous for their blue cheese stuffed filet mignons. I was never a fan. But too, the quality of the result does greatly depend on which blue cheese you pick. A good aged Stilton vs. a sharp young Danish, and all that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:33 pm

I learned, via the hasselback celeraic thread, of the existence of white miso. I've heard of, and used, light and dark brown miso, but I had no idea there was a white variety.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:52 pm

I usually hear of it referred to in colors--red, yellow, and white. I currently own one that is a dark coffee-brown (darker than any other I've ever seen) but which might categorically be 'red', and one that's pale caramel that could cop to either white or yellow. The writing on them is Japanese, and I have no idea what they say. But they're both outstanding.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Paul: re miso colors? Looking for something on the shelf of my fridge that holds my two misos, which are stacked one on top of the other, I happened to notice that they have a back label in English! And what do they both identically claim to be? White Miso.

Of course, the very different coffee and peanut butter colors say that can't be true. I think what I have are actually yellow and red misos. Oh, btw, when added to a broth? The coffee-colored miso turns a pretty medium brown, only maybe two shades darker than the other though the shades are nowhere near close in raw form.

Here, from Bon Appetit:

White Miso (Shiro Miso)
Also known as "sweet" or "mellow" miso, white miso is fermented for a shorter time and lower in salt than darker varieties. It has a milder, more delicate flavor and is easily adaptable. It's great in warm-weather soups, dressings, and light sauces, and can even be used in place of dairy in some recipes (think miso mashed potatoes).

Yellow Miso (Shinshu Miso)
Another mild type that's fermented slightly longer than white miso, yellow miso ranges from light yellow to light brown, and is adaptable to most cooking applications, from soups to glazes.

Red Miso (Aka Miso)
A longer-fermented miso that encompasses any darker red and brown varieties, red miso is generally saltier than light yellow and white miso and has a more assertive, pungent flavor. It's best suited for heartier dishes like rich soups, braises, and marinades or glazes. It can easily overwhelm milder ingredients, so use sparingly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Over the weekend I learned why Belgian endive is so expensive: it's not easy to grow!

https://westcoastfood.ca/i-heart-endive-in-the-fraser-valley
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 am

Roasted garlic cloves, crumbed and fried in clarified butter are delicious little morsels. They would make a nice garnish or addition to a dish. Just can’t think of the dish yet!
( I was crumbing some chicken at the time)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Roasted garlic cloves, crumbed and fried in clarified butter are delicious little morsels. They would make a nice garnish or addition to a dish. Just can’t think of the dish yet!

Aren't they good, though? I often make them to garnish roast chicken.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Jenise wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:Roasted garlic cloves, crumbed and fried in clarified butter are delicious little morsels. They would make a nice garnish or addition to a dish. Just can’t think of the dish yet!

Good idea, Jenise.

I learned today that roadrunners aren't crazy about pepperoni, but they do like other meats like ham and beef.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Good idea, Jenise.

I learned today that roadrunners aren't crazy about pepperoni, but they do like other meats like ham and beef.

And ACME Bird Seed!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:04 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Good idea, Jenise.

And ACME Bird Seed!

Meep! Meep!

They've gotten so tame, they come up to the front door and practically knock to get a snack. What's maddening is that a week ago I gave away 6 pounds of pre-cooked sausage links that I was never going to use. Now I could have used that for roadrunner food. :(
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:14 am

Indeed. I just did some reading on them and they will eat just about anything they can catch, including rattlesnakes, scorpions, and tarantulas.

One person said his local birds were very fond of mini-meatballs. :D

And I found this astounding little vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onVbjDW-tqQ
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Yeah, it's amazing they also eat hummingbirds. It's also amazing that the hummingbird wasn't fast enough to escape. Their reflexes are so quick.

Roadrunners are the modern version of velociraptors. :shock:
PreviousNext