Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What I learned today

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:59 am

I learned today that I can't drink as much as I used to when I was young.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I (re-) learned that non-stick does. :evil:

Yeah. And I've learned over the years to never use any kind of oil spray on nonstick cookware.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:24 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I learned today that I can't drink as much as I used to when I was young.

I'll try not to type too loudly. :o
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I learned today that I can't drink as much as I used to when I was young.

I'll try not to type too loudly. :o

Please don't use capitals this morning....
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:58 pm

SHHHH, EVERYBODY, SHHHH!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:36 pm

That's better.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:00 pm

I learned this weekend while preparing a Somali dinner for a good friend that gifted me with a cookbook about East African cuisine that bananas are commonly eaten with rice in Somali dishes. It is mentioned several times with different menus and has caused comical confusion with people not in the know and used to eating bananas as breakfast or in dessert. We will give it a try.
The book will also help using that wonderful Berbere spice....another something to learn more about
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Oh I love berbere. The Armenian roommate I've mentioned grew up in Addis Abbaba, and used berbere in everything. These days it's how I season lamb (along with egg, dried mint and sourdough breadcrumbs) for lamb burgers using a bun that's a locally made English muffin with rosemary. Rosemary is very common in Ethiopian cooking--it's a great combination.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 pm

I learned ..... in another wonderful episode of “Simply Ming” (pork chops in a pan sauce over roasted veggies and Ming made pork tonkatsu)... that the guest chef likes to heat his sheet pan up first before he puts the veggies on for roasting
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 pm

John F wrote:.. that the guest chef likes to heat his sheet pan up first before he puts the veggies on for roasting

I have been using just that trick for roasting slices of delicata squash.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am

I'm making a batch of harissa today.

Jenise, last time I looked, you were on a holy grail-type quest in search of the perfect berbere mixture. How is that going?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
John F wrote:.. that the guest chef likes to heat his sheet pan up first before he puts the veggies on for roasting

Yes. Also, preheat it with oil if you're going to oven-roast anything with a coating on it, like the mahi I baked the other night.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I'm making a batch of harissa today.

Jenise, last time I looked, you were on a holy grail-type quest in search of the perfect berbere mixture. How is that going?

-Paul W.

Well, perfection in my case means 'tastes exactly like my old roommate's', which family members shipped over from Ethiopia. I bought a little imported packet at a Whole Foods Market once that was that exact match but they didn't carry it long enough for me to buy it twice and no others have been a match, though I do like what WFM carried in their own line and one that Bill Spohn gave me in whole spice form. I've bought and thrown out a few others.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:

Yes. Also, preheat it with oil if you're going to oven-roast anything with a coating on it, like the mahi I baked the other night.

Hm. Oil turns into a permanent coating if you heat it long enough. I resist doing that; I oil the food or add parchment paper when the food goes on.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Yes it does, which is why my baking sheets are all brownish/blackish. I consider it 'seasoning', a good thing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:25 pm

John F wrote:I learned ..... in another wonderful episode of “Simply Ming” (pork chops in a pan sauce over roasted veggies and Ming made pork tonkatsu)... that the guest chef likes to heat his sheet pan up first before he puts the veggies on for roasting

Watched that episode this morning, and I learned that broccoli rabe is good oven-roasted! It's a vegetable I like but my favorite preps are steamed and served as a warm salad/first course doused with lemon juice, EVOO and feta cheese, or finely chopped and combined with walnuts for a pasta 'sauce'. I love oven-roasted veggies but it never occurred to me to prep BR that way. Interesting!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 pm

I've learned to pre-heat sheet pans in the oven and never over a burner. Or they warp.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 am

Today (actually, yesterday) I learned that substituting cauliflower for potatoes makes a very smooth, low-carbohydrate vichysoisse.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Today (actually, yesterday) I learned that substituting cauliflower for potatoes makes a very smooth, low-carbohydrate vichysoisse.

Good for you. I've also had success using cauliflower in cream soups that actually taste creamy without cream.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm

Yes! That tomato soup I posted a recipe for a few weeks ago has spurred me into experimenting with other options. I kind of missed the potato flavor in the soup and think adding one but leaving the majority of bulk the cauliflower would work out even better.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Today I learned that high end restaurants add a third yolk to scrambled eggs for a richer result:

"For every serving, use two regular eggs PLUS the yolk only from a third egg. I know this to be true in the 1970’s at the Mayflower Hotel, Washington DC and in the 2010’s at the Four Seasons Hotel, Austin Texas. This is the “Hotel Blend” that’s unique in taste and texture to warrant the $20 plate."
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:17 am

Jenise wrote:Today I learned that high end restaurants add a third yolk to scrambled eggs for a richer result:

Aha! Am unlikely to do that at home because of the waste. But maybe one day when I need egg whites for another dish, it could be a good excuse to amp up the luxuriousness of the scrambled eggs!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:02 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:Today I learned that high end restaurants add a third yolk to scrambled eggs for a richer result:

Aha! Am unlikely to do that at home because of the waste. But maybe one day when I need egg whites for another dish, it could be a good excuse to amp up the luxuriousness of the scrambled eggs!

I understand. When I have leftover egg whites, I may use them as a glaze for breads or freeze them for future use.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

I prefer the egg white so it wouldn't be a problem at our house; the only problem would be quantity, and OD'ing Bob on the fattier yolks.

I recall fondly an egg white omelette stuffed with incredibly sweet tomatoes and fried potatoes at a vegetarian restaurant--rocked my world! Was wondering just yesterday when seeing egg whites by the carton at my fave mostly-organic food store if I shouldn't be a buyer. Was concerned that they might not taste as good as fresh--anyone have any experience buying/using them?
PreviousNext