Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What I learned today

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:34 am

Jenise wrote:Watching an episode of Ming Tsai, Sarah Moulton made an Alsatian bacon-onion flatbread and rolled hers out on a lightly oiled work surface which she said she learned from a Sicilian friend. The dough, which she wanted to be almost paper thin, stuck to the oiled board where on flour it would have stretched back and forth. Yeah, I have that problem too! Never heard this before, but next time....!

Oh. I had to parse this several times to understand the point. I think 'sticks to board' is a bad thing so why is she working to prevent it? Because she needs the traction in order to keep rolling it thinner and thinner.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:35 am

Jenise wrote:In this case, though, the exposure was long enough to eat away some of the copper, which is the part that distresses me the most.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm

On Thursday night I resurrected a dish from my past called something like Beef With Blue Cheese Sauce, we loved it so much we went back to the same restaurant to order it again but no way was the second version like the first. When we complained, they took our plates away and brought back new ones which weren't any better. Clearly, different chefs. End of Beef with Blue Cheese Sauce.

Fast forward about 30 years. Something calls this dish to mind, intact, and I realize that with just that memory and the experience I've gained since I can now duplicate the dish we loved. And wow did it work out. When shopping for ingredients, though, where I'd planned to buy roquefort because I thought it had the least chance of being grainy, I saw a big hunk of Cambezola and thought: no, THAT.

Excellent move. So what I learned: Cambezola melts like a dream. There will be more blue cheese sauces in my future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:54 pm

So, with that, learn this: Cambozola was invented by a German company in 1980. It is made by mixing camembert and gorgonzola bacilli and adding to cow's milk with extra cream. It was designed to do the sort of thing you are doing with it!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:04 pm

For Larry: I made yesterday's dinner - Cornish hens on herbs and oranges, and a braised fennel / apple / corn / bean salad, entirely with my cleaver. Mostly a good experience. It was sharp enough for all the tasks (totally suave cutting up the oranges) and it is fast to turn sideways to scrape/carry food from one station to another. I resorted to a small knife only at the beginning, to unwrap the birds, because the packaging was tight and I did not trust myself to work a corner of that big blade into the tiny bit of slack in the bag.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:So, with that, learn this: Cambozola was invented by a German company in 1980. It is made by mixing camembert and gorgonzola bacilli and adding to cow's milk with extra cream. It was designed to do the sort of thing you are doing with it!

Didn't know the German origins, nor the design, but I like the cheese and intuited how perfect it would be for this application. Didn't disappoint!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:18 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:For Larry: I made yesterday's dinner - Cornish hens on herbs and oranges, and a braised fennel / apple / corn / bean salad, entirely with my cleaver. Mostly a good experience. It was sharp enough for all the tasks (totally suave cutting up the oranges) and it is fast to turn sideways to scrape/carry food from one station to another. I resorted to a small knife only at the beginning, to unwrap the birds, because the packaging was tight and I did not trust myself to work a corner of that big blade into the tiny bit of slack in the bag.

Sounds good. I'd give up my French chef's SS knife before my carbon steel cleaver.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:55 am

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:So, with that, learn this: Cambozola was invented by a German company in 1980. It is made by mixing camembert and gorgonzola bacilli and adding to cow's milk with extra cream. It was designed to do the sort of thing you are doing with it!

Didn't know the German origins, nor the design, but I like the cheese and intuited how perfect it would be for this application. Didn't disappoint!

IFor the record I'm fine with Cambozola. But I can never see it mentioned without recalling the Fairway cheese counter in the '90s, when the legendary Steve Jenkins was in charge. For a while, right in the middle of all the glorious cheeses was a big section of Cambozola. The sign in it read something like "produced in a factory in Germany (Germany!?!?!?) , this industrial muck purports to be the imaginary lovechild of a Camembert and a Gorgonzola." Counter guys said they still sold some.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Dale, that's hilarious. I'm copying your text and sending it to my friend Chuck who happens to be 1) the guy who served it a few weeks ago that inspired my use of it, 2) German, and 3) a retired professor from CUNY--he'll know the Fairway Market. :) He'll be delighted with this story.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:04 pm

I'm pretty sure my memory of "industrial Muck: is accurate. But this article indicates he might have had another sign at some point:
An example is German Cambozola. Fairway has planted a big sign on it that says: "A ludicrous cheese. As if being German weren't bad enough, this is a knock-off of two other cheeses -- Camembert and Gorgonzola. And it doesn't deserve to be called either one."

https://www.supermarketnews.com/archive ... lutions-10
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm

That's funny, if purist snobbery. I still like it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:13 pm

Today I learned from 23andMe that according to genetics for people of mostly European descent, I am more likelier than not to dislike cilantro. THEY ARE SO WRONG! Loved it the first time I tasted it by which time I was a legal adult, if just barely so.

They claim that 13% of people they test are dislikers.

Btw, Ming Tsai said on his show that he was once among the dislikers. Repeated exposure changed him, so nice to know that it's curable.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 pm

A new supply of dried porcini mushrooms caused me to dig out this recipe:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35524&p=338435&hilit=Tuscany+chicken#p338435

It's on the menu tonight.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Today I learned from 23andMe that according to genetics for people of mostly European descent, I am more likelier than not to dislike cilantro. THEY ARE SO WRONG! Loved it the first time I tasted it by which time I was a legal adult, if just barely so.

Btw, Ming Tsai said on his show that he was once among the dislikers. Repeated exposure changed him, so nice to know that it's curable.

I didn't like cilantro at first. It tasted like soap to me (hence its nickname, "soap plant"). But I worked on it over the years, and now I like it (if it's not a crazy amount).
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 am

Jenise wrote:Today I learned from 23andMe that according to genetics for people of mostly European descent, I am more likelier than not to dislike cilantro. THEY ARE SO WRONG! Loved it the first time I tasted it by which time I was a legal adult, if just barely so.

It took me a long time to tolerate but getting there.
However my late partner loathed it and he was Latvian so the European thing is there. I did hear once that it is actually one of those genetic tasting oddities of which there are a number but I can’t recal them right now, must research when I have some time
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I did hear once that it is actually one of those genetic tasting oddities of which there are a number but I can’t recal them right now, must research when I have some time

I've read that, too. Cilantro tastes like soap, being unable to smell asparagus in urine, a few others.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:52 pm

My father who liked almost everything hated cilantro, so the issue exists in my immediate family even though I obviously didn't follow suit.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 am

Jenise wrote:A new supply of dried porcini mushrooms caused me to dig out this recipe:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35524&p=338435&hilit=Tuscany+chicken#p338435

It's on the menu tonight.

That sounds great.
Another idea if you have porcinis (just grind to make powder)

Mushroom Ragu with Porcini Pasta

INGREDIENTS

5 cups chicken or vegetable stock

1 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons dried porcini mushroom powder, optional (see Tip)

4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

Kosher salt

⅓ cup olive oil

1 ½ pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake and cremini, finely chopped into 1/4-inch pieces

3 shallots, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Black pepper

⅓ cup port or marsala wine

1 pound spaghettini or angel hair pasta

PREPARATION

Add the stock, heavy cream, porcini mushroom powder (if using), 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves and 2 teaspoons salt to a large pot. Bring to a boil over high.

While the liquid comes to a boil, heat the oil over medium-high in a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic and 2 teaspoons thyme leaves. Season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and tender, about 12 minutes. Add the port, and stir until the alcohol cooks off and the mixture is almost dry, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, set aside and cover to keep warm.

Add the pasta to the boiling cream mixture, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently with tongs, until the pasta is al dente and absorbs most of the liquid, and the sauce is silky, 6 to 7 minutes. (Stir constantly during the last couple minutes to ensure the pasta cooks evenly. Add a splash of water if needed to keep the mixture glossy.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer the pasta to bowls, top with the mushroom mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, and serve immediately.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Jenise wrote:My father who liked almost everything hated cilantro, so the issue exists in my immediate family even though I obviously didn't follow suit.

I am a cilantro disliker. EXCEPT, there are certain cuisines where it is necessary as part of the dish. I discovered that I like the flavor of cilantro when it is cooked (as in chili verde and many Indian dishes), but I intensely dislike fresh cilantro, especially the stems which are extremely intense! So, I don't eat many fresh salsas, and I always spoon it off of Pho and other SE Asian dishes, where it seems to be a ubiquitous garnish.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:[
Another idea if you have porcinis (just grind to make powder)

Mushroom Ragu with Porcini Pasta

That sounds fantastic. I've got a quarter pound of fresh hedgehog mushrooms--this will be just the ticket!

Oh, and re Cambozola--my friend Chuck was delighted with that story--that Fairway was their favorite grocer when they lived there. He remembers Steve!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Jo Ann, too bad! Interesting that you figured out the difference between cooked and fresh. I think all people I know who have mentioned disliking it were always talking about fresh--anyone who's not a cook might not understand it's presence in curries and stuff they do like.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:05 pm

I was once like Jo Ann, but I made a mental shift in my brain, telling myself that cilantro brightens food. So I slowly worked my way up through the soapiness into liking it more or less (depending on quantity). But I totally understand someone not liking it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Pumpkin despises cilantro -- though I have him flummoxed about coriander seed! -- such that we do not make or eat Thai dishes, only a very few Mexican dishes, and I eat banh mi alone!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm

I find coriander seeds don't taste anything like the leaves. I think they have a warm, orangey flavor. I frequently put some in my bread when I use orange rind to amp up the flavor. Indian curries certainly use it. As far as Mexican food goes, you can certainly eliminate cilantro without missing too much.
PreviousNext