Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What I learned today

by Jenise » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Thought this might be an interesting ongoing topic--just pop in whenever you have some small tidbit to share:

I'm watching more cooking shows than I used to these days, that's for sure, and little things pop up. My fave of the moment is Ming Tsai--I just like the guy. From several of his shows yesterday I learned that:

1) Purple potatoes have more cancer-fighting nutrients than other color of potato. I rarely buy them but do like them. Should buy more often.

2) On caesar salads: Silken tofu adds an excellent non-dairy creaminess to the dressing for those who like creamy (I don't, but for many it's normal), and fish sauce is a good stand-in for anchovies.

What have you learned recently?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: What I learned today

by Ted Richards » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:38 pm

Jenise wrote:2) On caesar salads: ... fish sauce is a good stand-in for anchovies.

We like Worcestershire sauce (which does contain anchovies) instead.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Ted, ever tried both? The table-side Caesar I grew up on (and therefore, nothing's better) contained both anchoves AND Worcestershire sauce. I'm amused these days to see balsamic vinegar used instead--to me, all wrong! (Not that it's bad or anything.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm

I absolutely love Ming’s show..... he is Boston based so we are proud of him but he just seems like a good person, down to earth and creative and curious about food
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm

John F wrote:I absolutely love Ming’s show..... he is Boston based so we are proud of him but he just seems like a good person, down to earth and creative and curious about food

I like Ming, too. He was a chef for a while in Santa Fe.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 am

I remember Ming from the early Food Network days, circa 1999/2000, and always thought he was a great smart chef. Better than some of the other 'personalities'. But haven't seen him since those days! (Of course I haven't watched 'regular' tv in 15 years...)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:15 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I like Ming, too. He was a chef for a while in Santa Fe.

I'd forgotten about that, I've even eaten at that restaurant. Interestingly haven't heard him reference that, not once, in the 20 or so episodes I've devoured in the past few weeks, though he speaks of his time in Paris occasionally.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

John F wrote:I absolutely love Ming’s show..... he is Boston based so we are proud of him but he just seems like a good person, down to earth and creative and curious about food

Exactly. These days the show is a different format than the early days I remember: usually with a guest, and each show begins with a cocktail. The banter's always good, and he drops nuggets about his personal life (wife dealing with breast cancer, for instance) such that after five or ten episodes he starts to feel like a friend. I guess his Boston restaurant now is Blue Dragon--is Blue Ginger still around?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

I've watched Ming off and on for years. I'd love to share one of Ming's cocktails with him.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Today I learned that 'It Boy' Kenji Lopez-Alt has apparently joined the California exodus and moved to Seattle in the past few months. He's working on a new Wok book and teaching his daughter to ski. Interesting posts on Instagram as he tastes his way around town.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am

Jenise

Blue Ginger closed in June 2017 after 19 years. His Blue Dragon is in the Fort Point section of Boston which is a (pre-Covid) hot neighborhood in Boston’s revitalizing Seaport district.

Can I stream the Ming series? I just watch it on PBS when I happen to be around
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:54 pm

John, I think the episodes I'm watching are coming from PBS (I just set it to catch all episodes and 3 or 4 show up per week from, I think, PBS's @Create channel.) I believe scads of past shows are also available on one of those new channels, like Peacock or Tubi.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Yesterday I learned that Trader Joe's has fioretto cauliflower in the fresh produce department. They call it baby cauliflower which is a misnomer, but that aside it's milder and sweeter than the more typical broccoli and cauliflower, both of which it resembles. I'm not a fan of bagged food, but fioretto is summer farmer's market produce in my area and I'm very grateful to have it available by any means now.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:51 pm

Not exactly what you had in mind Jenise but as I was getting ready to put a thin crust into the wood fired pizza oven which had been stoked to a temp of 650 at the base an agitated neighbor came to the door yelling that my chimney was on fire.....What I learned Sunday is that despite burning dry oak in that oven a professional chimney clean yearly is in order. Don't delay if you burn wood. Make friends with your local chimney sweep. The forno did not suffer and will be ready to use as soon as chimney is rebuilt but we have water damage on 3 floor in that corner of the house.
We did have electric oven pizza very late that night - over proofed dough but grateful that things were not worse. Had it been a Packer football Sunday no one would have been walking in the neighborhood to notice the smoke and fire and call the fire department. We would have not been aware of problem until the entire roof burned !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Omigosh, Christina, I'm glad everyone is safe.

I have friends who had a similar experience - passersby told them their roof was on fire, which it was. Extensive damage, water everywhere and, more difficult than that, smoke everywhere. It is hard to wash the smoke smell away. Take lots of pictures and ring up your insurance right away!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh, Christina!!! Yes, thank god someone saw it fairly soon. So glad you all are safe and can remain in your home until it's fixed.

Jeff, yes on the smoke smell. Ozone machines do a great job of removing the odor these days, though, and a good recovery service would bring them in.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Some expensive pizza! Glad you caught it in time and everyone's okay. I read the posting twice before it dawned on me that the oven was indoors. I originally pictured an outdoor oven and wondered why your neighbor was so upset about the smoke. :?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:14 pm

I learned that I should have started making my own chicken stock ages ago. Dead easy to do, it freezes perfectly, and the flavor is better than the commercial product.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:43 pm

It is, Paul. My issue is just that I use more chicken stock than I can feasibly produce, and I never have enough room in the freezer for such things, especially since Covid. I can keep commercial chicken stock on a shelf in the pantry, but not the variety of meat I like to have on hand for superior options.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Today I learned that the two most common things people burn on the stovetop are: croutons and nuts. My immediate reaction, upon hearing that was, DUH. Can't count the # of times....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Today I learned that the two most common things people burn on the stovetop are: croutons and nuts. My immediate reaction, upon hearing that was, DUH. Can't count the # of times....

Because these foods take a while to warm up, people think they can walk away. If I start a task like that, I immediately assign some of my attention to my nose - when the fragrance comes up, then it's time to go look.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:14 pm

By the time I smell nuts cooking, they're probably already more done than I'd want them. But it's true, you get bored waiting so you decide to make the salad, or the phone rings, or you step outside to see the rainbow. Croutons are in less danger as they crisp up fairly quickly on the stove top. Under the broiler, though? Major danger zone.

OH, what I learned yesterday, much to my detriment? Cotija cheese doesn't melt. (Didn't actually know that or plan to test it, but I thought I grabbed the parmesan for my caccio e pepe....bad, VERY bad.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:00 am

I learned today that, starting Monday, NYC Restaurant Week To-Go is happening: https://stories.zagat.com/posts/tim-zag ... -than-ever

Meals for $20.21.

I remember the first one, in 1992. Somewhere, I have a photo of the menu and the food: We were at Union Square Cafe, having the $19.92 lunch, which, in honor of Bill Clinton, included a Lightly Smoked (But Not Inhaled) Chicken Sandwich.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 pm

I (re-) learned that non-stick does. :evil:
Decisions are made by those who show up
Next