Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When Condiments Betray You

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: When Condiments Betray You

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:36 pm

I think tabasco peppers suffer from inbreeding, which lessens their heat. The McIlhenny family is very secretive about what they do.

We do not have much Scovilliana here because Pumpkin does not like it. A jar of chipotle adobo is aging on the fridge door; a bottle of sriracha is separating in the dark of my spice cupboard. I have some Aleppo pepper for pizza shake, ground cayenne (of course), and a few very old dundicuts and piqins leftover from my younger days. About the only spicy thing that ever gets served in my house -- and only to me -- is homemade Sal's Sauce (oranges + honey + yellow mustard + vinegar + Frank's + black pepper + red pepper, simmered but not boiled).
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'm not really a chilehead, I no longer enjoy intense heat (I used to buy things like Dave's Insanity). But I think a lot of things have subtlety different profiles/uses. Right now looks like we have Tabasco, TPete, Cholula, Cholula Chipotle, sriracha, sambal olek, harrisa, gochugangm chile crisp, chile oil, maybe couple others in fridge. Plus some Asian sauces with varying degrees of heat.
In pantry for cooking a variety of dried chiles, cayenne, hot paprika, red pepper flakes, gochugaru.
It seems strange, but to me none of these are interchangeable.
My reference to flakes was to Peter putting hot sauce in puttanesca, usually for any Italian cooking red pepper flakes are my go to for adding a little Scoville accent.

I'm a big fan of Cholula and also still have a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce on my fridge door, which I used to use in my pickled eggs. Believe it or not, I have some hot sauce even hotter than Dave's.

I've met Dave a few times. He used to wear a straitjacket at the Fiery Foods Festival. One year after his Insanity Sauce was banned from tasting at the festival*, I took his Atomic Challenge, which was a mixture of his two next-hottest sauces. I had to sign a waiver and was awarded a certificate for surviving the tasting. I remember thinking, "That wasn't too bad" and made it halfway down the next aisle before it hit me. I stopped dead in my tracks. My face flushed, and I started raining sweat on the floor. Yowee! Eventually it wore off.

*Dave used to have small bowls of his Insanity Sauce set out for people to dip with chips. One drop would do most people in, but I once watched a woman grab a chip and swoop up a spoonful, obviously not knowing what it was. I heard rumors about someone winding up in the hospital and have always wondered if it was that woman.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Peter May wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:

Tabasco's 1st ingredient is vinegar and even new bottles taste vinegary.

Precisely why I love it, and the chiles are a very distinctive variety as well. Can't eat a hardboiled egg without it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
Peter May wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:

Tabasco's 1st ingredient is vinegar and even new bottles taste vinegary.

Precisely why I love it, and the chiles are a very distinctive variety as well. Can't eat a hardboiled egg without it!

T'werent a criticism. But I like salt and cayenne powder on my HB eggs.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:27 am

Larry, didn't take it as one. It was Peter who pointed out the vinegar. Which is fair enough, I was just pointing out that what for him was a negative was for others a positive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I like salt and cayenne powder on my HB eggs.

Picked up a bottle of Tabasco Spicy Salt when my sister and I visited New Orleans in February. Perfect for a sprinkle on scrambled or hard boiled eggs, and atop potato salad, or steamed rice. Heck, whatever. Good stuff. Think you can only buy it online or in the store on Avery Island.
81GQ6pyi3EL._SL1500_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:24 pm

That is interesting! Will keep my eyes open for some locally (the Amazon price of US $15 plus $10 postage to Canada fails to entice me). Many of the reviews are glowing.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm

Yes, it is a little pricey. Think it was $12.99 at the gift shop! But, $10 shipping? :shock:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Nope - just looked at the country store site. It was $6.99.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Yeah, you have to watch Amazon on both price and shipping!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm

OH that stuff sounds GOOD. Goes on my list!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:34 pm

You may also want to consider Tabasco Roasted Pepper Sauce. It knocked me off my feet. I've placed both in my shopping cart on the online country store. It has replaced all steak sauces in my house, though my husband still prefers HP (not a chili head).
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:12 pm

The Tabasco salt sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye peeled for it.

I like Heinz-57, but I bounce around a bit among brands. I used to like HP, but it's a bit hard to find. A low ranking one pour moi is A-1. I've also liked Worcestershire sauce (L&P) since I was around age 10, and that's a long time.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Back on mustard, here is the distaff Canadian version......

cel.jpg

And just to brighten your day,did you hear about the man who was found dead in a vat of falafel condiment.
Police are treating it as a hummuscide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:The Tabasco salt sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye peeled for it.

I like Heinz-57, but I bounce around a bit among brands. I used to like HP, but it's a bit hard to find. A low ranking one pour moi is A-1. I've also liked Worcestershire sauce (L&P) since I was around age 10, and that's a long time.

I too like Worcestershire sauce and often use it to concoct sauces for roasts. Yes, HP is increasingly harder to find. But, Cost Plus World Markets seem to always have a limited supply in their stores here. You may want to give them a try if they still exist in your market.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:48 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Back on mustard, here is the distaff Canadian version......

I think I've seen this before... I have a feeling of dijon vu....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:54 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Yes, it is a little pricey. Think it was $12.99 at the gift shop! But, $10 shipping? :shock:

Yeah, somehow, this is the new normal.

I see Royal Praline has it in stock and they offer free shipping with a $35 purchase. So, pickup some chicory coffee and sugared pecans and you should be good to go. https://www.royalpralinecompany.com/
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:33 am

We had always liked Tabasco sauce and went mas when we visited AveryIsland and found the variety of products. That was back mid nineties nad a few of the different varieties filtered down here, Grren, Habanero, all pretty nice. The spicy salt sounds good.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 am

As an aside: a number of years in a publication I can't remember, I read about the history of Tabasco and how ruthless they were in business and against their competitors. And how, somehow, they trademarked the botanical name, "Tabasco."

Only the messenger here, folks.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 am

This is an interesting video on Tabasco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQKQ-OGg3AQ

And this is a video of people competing to eat the hottest pepper - just have to shake your head....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0sMIue5qk
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:40 am

Celine Dijon? Presumably the mustard to go with the wines Brigitte Bordeaux and Marcel Meursault (a wine that's perpetually in a dumb stage).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Celine Dijon? Presumably the mustard to go with the wines Brigitte Bordeaux and Marcel Meursault (a wine that's perpetually in a dumb stage).

-Paul W.

f83e13fc005394433a6a76a793f11042.jpg
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 pm

A little-known fact (except for former employees) is that Mr. Burns was modeled after our boss when I was an engineer decades ago. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:34 pm

HP Sauce is one of those products where the US-marketed version tastes different from what's sold in the UK.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext