Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

There's the Rub!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

There's the Rub!

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:10 pm

With apologies to Hamlet for the title, I tried a rub for meat that was very good - enough that I thought I should pass it on.

3 tbsp fleur de sel
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp green cardamom
1 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tsp garam masala

You take the cumin, coriander and cardamom and heat them gently in a dry pan (medium high for about a minute) then add to the rest of the mix and grind it up - a large mortar and pestle is ideal but a spice mill would do.

I used it to coat a pork tenderloin which was then seared in a pan on all sides and then transferred to a 350 F. oven for 12 or 13 minutes (turning it).

The origin of the rub is south Indian and it was really good! I find that this sort of meat prep works with either white or red wine (we had a 2015 petit chateau claret).

The rub mix should keep in a sealed jar for several months before losing potency. I'd use this on pork, beef, lamb and even fish - a very savory blend.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: There's the Rub!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Sounds GREAT! As I read the ingredients, I can smell and taste what might be the final result. The cinnamon seems to give it a more north African flavor, in my estimation. Will definitely be adding this to my next pork experiment which will be a crispy pork hock.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon