Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Banal Food Frippery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Banal Food Frippery

by Peter May » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
The first one I'll offer is the over use of runny egg yolks as a combination sauce

One of my favourite dishes is Escalope Holstein, but this is an old dish rarely seen on menus nowadays. I go to an old-fashioned restaurant in London especially for this dish, and a runny yolk is - to my mind - essential. But one has a choice, so if one doesn't like an egg on a dish then one wouldn't order this dish.

Bill Spohn wrote:
Any other examples of food frippery?

I can remember when sliced Kiwi Fruit as a garnish spread throughout restaurant land till it became a cliché and it was followed by (what we call here) Cape Gooseberry, i.e. Physalis, which went the same way. But these are easier to leave these on the plate than .....

What I can do without is the amuse bouche served 'with chef's compliments' - a dish I didn't order, didn't want and which takes the edge off my appetite for the dishes I did want.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Peter, I don't mind a runny yolk on something that I don't have to pick up with my hands to eat - but with a sandwich it is ludicrous.

I recall the ubiquitous kiwi, for quite a long time, and the Physalis, soon to be back for Hallowe'en.

I think that you have a point about the unrequested amuse - they should ask you if you would like to taste a particular dish and describe it so you can make a judgement based on ingredients, possible allergies etc. When they just plop it down on the table uninvited, the onus is on you to respond when they show up with it and to accept or reject it according to your preference.

I get in trouble with SWMBO as I take questions about how my meal was very literally and often go into a monologue sometimes a minute or two long telling them what my response and critique is. If they aren't willing to listen to the response they shouldn't ask the question.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:23 pm

I totally disagree with with both of you re the amuse. After all, translated it means "gift from the chef". I'm always delighted for that one little bite. I'm also a person who is more inclined to order a couple appies in place of a big main course. I love the layering of multiple experiences in one meal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:56 am

Jenise wrote: After all, translated it means "gift from the chef".

Surely translated it means mouth amusement? Bouche being mouth in French

As a 'gift' from the chef, the diner is still paying for it as its cost will be factored into the meal prices.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 am

Just so - a palate tickler you pay for one way or another.

I'd just like to know a little about what it is so I know if I want it.

Ironically, you sometimes get a one liner about the amuse but the waiter goes into a rhapsodic account of where and how the components for the main course were sourced/raised/ cosseted/prepared that you would ask that they belay the filibuster and drop the grub if only you could get a word in.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Re telling them what I really think... well, they asked.

Re the amuse bouche... I had not considered, but I do see the point about taking the edge off one's hunger 'inadvertantly', so to speak. I'll have to think about that some more, but for now I am in the thrill-seeker camp: more flavors, more varieties of texture, more ideas perhaps for my own kitchen, and, yes, I paid for it, so bring it on.

Re "and I paid for it"... I am always amused by the coffee shop cards - "Buy 10 drink and get the next one free!" because surely I am paying 110% of the price of a drink anyway so may as well have it. :D
Previous