Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sous Vide Rack of Lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Sous Vide Rack of Lamb

by Jenise » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:37 am

So a tantalyzing photo of a perfect rare rack of lamb prepared sous vide method that I spied a few days ago convinced me that I should try this method for yesterday's planned Rack of Lamb dinner. I prepare RoL pretty expertly and didn't feel there was any room for improvement, but hey, what else do I have to except play with my food? So, 3.5 hours at 135 is what the other guy did so I did it too. Once out of the bag, I rubbed the meat area with a bit of mayo then pressed a panko/parmesan/tarragon/black pepper coating on it and quickly seared that to a crust.

I started with a fresh rack from an organic farmer in Oregon--top of the line quality. I did not add seasoning to the vacuum bag. Cooked, the meat was a beautiful deep rosy pinkish red, and the velveteen texture was ethereal. Maybe almost too much so--I would probably dial the timing back an hour were I to do it again.

But I won't do it again. And the reason is that, apparently, the fact that the bones didn't get roasted but were merely pan-browned on the convex side, the only part that could come in contact with a pan, imparted an unpleasant unfresh flavor to the meat and fat right at the bone that is similar to what a package of raw meat you left in the fridge too long smells like. I, an unapologetic bone nibbler in circumstances where it's not rude to do so, did not clean the bones as I normally would.

I did, however, drain every drop of the Haut Brion I washed it down with, though. 8)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Sous Vide Rack of Lamb

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Good tip or I might have tried that eventually, too.

Was the wine, the Hot Brian, an Aussie wine....? :mrgreen:

Hope you kept some....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Good tip or I might have tried that eventually, too.

Was the wine, the Hot Brian, an Aussie wine....? :mrgreen:

Hope you kept some....

Lamb, off the bone, would be absolutely delightful done this way. Btw, I don't think I've tried any other meats bone-in this method--and I'm cured. Won't again. Pork ribs would work fine if seriously grilled on all sides afterward, but again--I don't really see the point. What sous vide does well, ribs don't need.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Not all techniques have universal application. For example, Chinese red-cooking turns pork loin into leather. But it works great on pork belly, Boston butt, and pork spareribs. You need the fat and connective tissue.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:00 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Not all techniques have universal application. For example, Chinese red-cooking turns pork loin into leather. But it works great on pork belly, Boston butt, and pork spareribs. You need the fat and connective tissue.

-Paul W.

Understood. I once went to dinner at a friend's home, early days of sous vide before you could buy stand-alone immersion circulators. This friend bought the whole big contraption, around $700. So we went to dinner, and everything in several courses was cooked sous vide. Halibut--OMG. So wrong, SO SO wrong.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Psst - did you know that you can sous vide eggs and get perfect runny yolks.....(165 F for 15 mins)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Psst - did you know that you can sous vide eggs and get perfect runny yolks.....(165 F for 15 mins)

Yes, I imagine she knows. She won't do it, but she knows.

Anyway, sounds a bit too warm. Internet is full of charts but here's a thorough-looking one:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/0f/c6/c40fc69f89f803870d965cb6c279ad3b.jpg
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:12 pm

I think I am a 64 deg. guy. Interesting chart.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:36 am

62*, give or take a degree here.

My favorite purchase at my local coal-fired oven pizza shop is their breakfast pie: regular tomato sauce and mozzerella with two added eggs and several strips of pancetta. Those yolks are often just barely runny.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:32 am

In some dishes I have nothing against using a runny egg yolk as a sauce equivalent, but one gourmet burger I was presented with had basically an uncooked yolk that ran and puddled and generally soaked everything. I told them to take it away and bring back something that I didn't need to wear a raincoat to actually pick up and eat. I think I'll start a thread - I'm sure there are a few things done in the name of gourmet sensibility that are trite and unwanted today..