Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Homemade Sazón

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Homemade Sazón

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Very nice, Jeff. Do you know what vintage and model it is? Has some artistic flair to it.

It's a Kellogg 925, known colloquially as 'the ashtray phone' due to the two dips on either side of the cradle. This allowed the receiver to be rested on the phone body without having to hang it up.

This one was refurbed in blue. The mechanisms work, though dialing touch-tone with it is not at all easy....

ETA: It's from the 1930s, somewhat Art Deco, although it was made in large enough quantities that the US Signal Corps purchased them in bulk.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote: But not things that are random, like employee id numbers, it needs a meaning.

Apparently, it's relatively rare for that reason. I have no idea why I'm able to do this; I have no tricks and in spite of the fact that I have synaesthesia these long strings will be black and white, not color. Whereas, give me a date? My birthday is mint green/blue/brown. Bob and I were married on pink/yellow/green. This year my birthday is going to be on the emerald green day of the week (Wednesday).

I am fascinated by those associations. What are the other six colors matched to the days of the week? Can you predict what colors will occur with a given thing or are you just along for the ride?

I've only experienced synesthesia during, um, er, certain chemically-enhanced afternoons.

Re the goodness of your memory, I think you've given some of the answer right there: the more cues associated to a moment, the better we retain it. You have color cues to go along with the sight, sound, feel, meaning.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:42 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I am fascinated by those associations. What are the other six colors matched to the days of the week? Can you predict what colors will occur with a given thing or are you just along for the ride?

Just along for the ride. The color-associations are non-sensical. Obviously I assigned them, but involuntarily at a subconscious level. They're not my favorite colors (in fact, I hate some of them) nor are all colors represented (no purple, no turquoise/acqua, no lime green) and some colors occur more than once in different shades. I can't change the colors, they're in for life.

The days of the week are Monday = white, Tuesday's a dull almost burnt shade of orange, Wed = emerald, Thursday = raspberry red, Friday = blue, Saturday = brown, Sunday = yellow. Months of the year include three shades of green for March, May and August, two of which match up to the traditional birthstone for that month. That's probably not a coincidence but most don't have a match. July and the letter 'J' are both the same disgusting shade of pink. You'd think for my own name I'd pick great colors, but no.

Exceptional memory is common in synesthetes. But that said, by and large the strings of numbers I remember are black and white. They only get lit up when they're personal. When we moved here, the phone company would only give me three choices for a phone number. I called back three days in a row before they offered me a number I liked. What makes a number likable? Just a pleasing bouquet of colors. Our previous phone number in Huntington Beach was 840-6761 (black/green/white - brown dark yellow brown light yellow). And annoyed the heck out of me having cold colors on one side of the hyphen and warm on the other.

But that number had a nice cadence. Cadence matters a lot in how I remember all the phone numbers of my childhood. Each is like a little song. I grew up with 69-67731. The Mierases were 69-87093, the Zishkas 69-37093, the Corbetts 69-36252, etc. I put the hyphen where I do because all those numbers were originally expressed as Oxbow. We were Oxbow 67731 until the phone company turned OX into numbers and moved the hyphen. In my head each of those had a singular tone. Put to music, our phone number would have been GDGAAEC.

When we get a new credit card (we use one card fairly exclusively but it gets hacked at least once a year these days so new numbers come frequently), I'm always excited to see what the numbers are. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't--and it shouldn't matter one damned bit, they're just numbers. BUT--I hate an ugly number. :)

Some synesthetes only assign letters, some only numbers--this is a very common form--but everything including the calendar (like me) is more unusual. Btw, I thought I was the only person in the world like this until I saw a show on PBS about it. Was wild after living with this so long to find out there were others like me, that it's a neurological bonus, and that we had a name.

A friend of mine, a trumpet player and fellow synaesthesiast, assigned colors to musical notes and instruments. Some people assign colors to food--thank god I don't!

Way more than you wanted to know, I'm sure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 am

My favorite numbers are 12 unless it is too expensive in which case I can get behind 6 (especially if they are magnums!)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Way more than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Not at all. I'm a details man, I love it. I'll write more later.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Trump's words make me see red. Do I have synesthesia? :mrgreen:
Previous