Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fruits and Veges

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Fruits and Veges

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm glad we live near the Mexican border; we enjoy pretty low prices on many fruits and veges. For example, limes are 5/$1 (let's hear it for gin & tonics!), lemons 3/$1 and the list goes on.

How are prices in your area?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Fruits and Veges

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Larry, lemons at our nearby Kroger grocery are 89 cents, so you've got that beat, but limes are 55 cents. On the whole, grocery prices here aren't terrible, in part because Louisville is at the hub of a lot of transportation routes.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Larry, lemons at our nearby Kroger grocery are 89 cents, so you've got that beat, but limes are 55 cents. On the whole, grocery prices here aren't terrible, in part because Louisville is at the hub of a lot of transportation routes.

And, as you may know, much of our country's organic produce is grown in Mexico, just a few hours away from us.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 am

Now you're reminding me of The Lemon Man, a participant on this board from ages past. I seem to recall I bought a couple pounds of lemons from him and an entire crate showed up.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Bill Spencer! Last we knew he'd sold the orchard in Yuma and was moving to Pismo Beach in California. Never heard from him again that I know of.

Lemon and lime prices are always bad up here. I just bought two bags of limes at Costco, five pounds each, for the tequila contest. Probably paid between $7 and $8. In the stores, they're probably around .79 each.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:38 am

I remembered to look at prices when I went to my local supermarket yesterday: lemons and limes are both 2/$1.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Bought some Olathe corn today 6/$1.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Oh I love Olathe corn! Up here, any corn is running $1/ear. No local corn yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm

Fresh corn varies at my famer's market. Lately I've seen $1 each and also 3 for $2.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh I love Olathe corn! Up here, any corn is running $1/ear. No local corn yet.

I like butter, salt, and cayenne on mine. Edie is butter only. How 'bout you?

We usually have an ear each. I zap the unhusked pair in the microwave for 6-1/2 min (for my oven's power--figure 3 min/ear). They come out perfectly cooked and the husk and silk just falls off. Like magic. Really convenient.
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Butter, salt. Wouldn't turn away the cayenne, just never thought of it. Loved it one time in Santa Fe sprinkled with powdered green chiles.

No Elote. EVER.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Butter, salt, black pepper. Though corn is a blank canvas and one can try a lot of things.

Oh, and usually 2 ears, but sometimes 1.5.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm usually a 2 as well. Frankly, I really don't serve it as a side dish. It's my favorite thing on the plate when it's there, so we often have it as the main feature of the meal. The only thing that dampens my enthusiasm is that Bob can't eat it off the cob. Loves it, but it must be cut off for him. Yes he can do that himself but it's really too messy on a conventional dinner plate.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Butter and salt is good. Rubbing the corn with a lime wedge is surprisingly good for a no-fat alternative. I have to confess being a big fan of elotes, though, but we have some Mexican places here that really do it well.