Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spuds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Spuds

by Jenise » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:56 pm

In trying to find the courage to deal with the fruit flies, I often think of the line in that Joni Mitchell song "give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees." I know what the right choice is, but sometimes it hurts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:05 am

Further to my earlier post I realised I had been keeping roasting potatoes in the fridge only since lockdown. Before then we did our shopping on Sunday morning and bought potatoes I would roast later that day which I kept in the shopping bag till preparing them.

When we locked down and got home deliveries the only slot we could get was on Mondays, so it's from them I kept the large pots in the fridge. Now we've been able to advance our delivery slot to Thursday...

Anyway - co-incidence or not - The Telegraph published a story on their news page based on advice from Wrap, the [UK] Government's food waste watchdog:

Official advice ends debate over what to keep in the fridge
Eggs and parsnips should be put in the fridge, with onions and potatoes in the cupboard according to new government guidance

Will we change: we've never kept eggs in the fridge and I expect we'll continue to keep tomatoes and small potatoes there, but I'll keep my Sunday roasters out.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 am

In my CT days, we would go to the raspberry 'pick your own' places and, of course, come home with pounds and pounds of fruit. The only thing to do is freeze them: place individual berries on a cookie sheet in the freezer; once solid, then toss them in a ziploc bag. This allows you to get whole berries back later, and as much/little as you like because it isn't all one great big pile of mush.
Previous