Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seafood box from Blue Hill Stone Barns

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Seafood box from Blue Hill Stone Barns

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:25 pm

so the most celebrated/exciting restaurant in my area is Blue Hill at Stone Barns. Farm to Table before it became a buzzphrase, meals was theatrical and quirky, but also delicious (and really expensive). When the pandemic shut everything down, Dan Barber and crew were worried about suppliers. So they started offering a variety of boxes each week for home cooks. A produce box, a pork box, dairy box, lamb box, etc. My Zoom group surprised me with a gift of a seafood box (I did a lot of the distributing of wines each week). A lovely drive to Stone Barns, and then we opened the bounty.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0LVOhp7 ... JUX6DdJ1UQ

Whole sea bream, with green salt crust mixture (rosemary, tarragon, parsley thyme, egg white). We've done salt crust before, but this was a revelation- forget cookies, put this in oven for a real estate open house
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0efmwiW ... uyA65BBy_Q
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Z2bvFJ ... xcSGSIzrCw

Lobster (cooked and split)

Widows Hole (Long Island) oysters
Mignonette (fermented celery, fresh celery, celery seed, green strawberry, pickled ramps)- wow, maybe my favorite thing in box

Coleslaw
Crab cakes (we froze these

Fluke ceviche (shishito, lemon basil, melon, with last years pepper pickling juice as acid!). Great

Phytoplankton bread (green and tastes of the sea!)

Seaweed salad (Maine kelp and dulce with sesame, cucumber, hyssop

Risotto (vermont brown rice) with lobster/kombu broth- taking this to Maine with us.

Really fun. Not cheap, but I might do the lamb box later this month. Nice to keep supply chain going
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Seafood box from Blue Hill Stone Barns

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Sounds amazing!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm

OH WOW. Dale, how fantastic to be appreciated with an amazing gift like that. Wish there were outlets like this near us even half that interesting, but there isn't. You're very lucky!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Jeff, if you feel like a splurge, BH also has boxes for pickup at NYC location. Note that it changes each week (Dean from Zoom group said only oysters overlapped in his box of a couple weeks ago).

Jenise, you have Willows Inn!

This is a splurge. But with restaurants closed or hard to access, I think we might take some of that budget and do on our own in a few weeks. A friend at dinner Friday had done the lamb box, and I think Betsy was drooling (me too). So maybe lamb or pork box. Or veggies. Or dairy. Oh dear.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jeff, if you feel like a splurge, BH also has boxes for pickup at NYC location. Note that it changes each week (Dean from Zoom group said only oysters overlapped in his box of a couple weeks ago).

After you posted I went to look it up: not only do they have pickup in NYC, they have pickup in Brooklyn about 15 minutes from my house!

Jenise, you have Willows Inn!

I was just going to say that.

So maybe lamb or pork box. Or veggies. Or dairy. Oh dear.

!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Yes, I have the Willows, but dine-in only. No take out as yet!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov