Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Australian Toaster Biscuits?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Australian Toaster Biscuits?

by Matilda L » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:57 am

A long time ago now, years in fact, there was some mention on this forum of a thing called "Australian Toaster Biscuits". I'd never heard of these, and in the discussion, I concluded that they must be square crumpets made for the US market. Jenise, was it you who posted that mention of Australian Toaster Biscuits? I can't remember - too long ago.

Anyway, I thought of that bracket of conversation today as the Francophile and I were toasting square crumpets to have with our soup for tonight's light dinner. Is this what Australian Toaster Biscuits look like?

crumpet1_1.JPG

crumpet2_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Australian Toaster Biscuits?

by Peter May » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:51 am

I've never heard of square crumpets - but they make so much sense for toasting !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 am

I don't know! I don't remember the conversation and I would think I would had I been the asker. If I was, then I heard or read the name somewhere without seeing a package of them--I'm sure I'd have recognized those as crumpets, which I love.

But I agree with Peter--square? Makes so much sense!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm

I googled "Australian toaster biscuits" and got a bunch of links and photos. Apparently Australian Toaster Biscuits was the brand name of a bread product from American baker Oroweat. The product seems to have been discontinued. The photos show a bread that resembles an English muffin or crumpet, but according to a blog post I found, the Australian toaster biscuit tasted different from either. It's not clear from those images whether they're square or round. Other companies, notably Thomas' (premier US producer of English muffins), also produce crumpet/English muffin-type things called toaster biscuits.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Paul! Matilda! I found the original thread. Indeed I was the asker, after seeing a package of the discontinued Thomas brand at a store. Discussion ensued....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31195&p=264690&hilit=Australian+Toaster+Biscuit#p264690
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Oh, wow. That was like a trip in a time machine.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 am

That old thread drifted into the subject of scones, and a mention of not being seen in USA until Starbucks had them, and they're always triangular.

I've had Starbuck's ones and don't recognise them as scones

But in the past couple of weeks I've been made aware of the very different recipes people use and on top of that are some contentions.

I make scones regularly and my son emailed me asking why his try at scones didn't rise.
He uses self-raising flour with baking soda and eggs.
Eggs in scones are - to me - an anathema and changes the texture completely to sponge like.
Discussing this with a friend, turns out he uses eggs but his flour is plain bread flour with baking powder.

3 people, 3 different recipes.

The contentious issues are pronunciation - sk-own or sk-on, eggs, or not and the very hot topic on-going since the 11thC that the Queen has been recently dragged into is cream or jam first. In the county of Devon they spread clotted cream on the scone, then finish with a dollop of jam, while in the neighbouring county of Cornwall they do the reverse, with jam going first and clotted...

The recipe I use has self-raising flour, butter/margarine, milk, sultanas, salt - served with butter/margarine and jam.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am

I also make scones regularly, using regular flour, but no eggs. I do small variations each time, such as with dried cranberries instead of raisins.I may also add a touch of cardamon or dried orange peel or whatever I feel like. We eat them plain or with butter and jam or marmalade. Lemon curd is also nice. Usually, my scones are triangular.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Speaking solely as an eater of scones, not a maker, I think eggs would provide the wrong texture. A scone is a quick bread.

Re cream and jam or jam and cream: Neither. If the jam is excellent then I want to taste it. Same goes for the clotted cream. Piling them atop each other just confuses me.

Triangles?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm

Mine are usually triangles too. I make a circle then divide it six ways, like a pie: voila, triangles!

No eggs!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Mine are usually triangles too. I make a circle then divide it six ways, like a pie: voila, triangles!

I was about to say, "Oh, you mean farls," but those are quarters, not sixths. ::bagpipe smile::
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Peter May wrote:the very hot topic on-going since the 11thC that the Queen has been recently dragged into is cream or jam first. In the county of Devon they spread clotted cream on the scone, then finish with a dollop of jam, while in the neighbouring county of Cornwall they do the reverse, with jam going first and clotted...

Are they Lilliputians in Devon and Cornwall?

-Paul W.