Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Matzoh ball puzzler

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Matzoh ball puzzler

by Jenise » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:52 am

So the other night for one of my "dinner and a movie projects" I made matzoh balls to go in a spicy beef and tomato broth. I'd originally planned noodles but when I chose Scorcese's The King of Comedy starring Jerry Lewis, the Jewish dumpling seemed a much better fit.

I went with the standard proportion of 1/4 meal to 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 egg, etc., times 3. Mixed it all in one bowl at the same time and cooked them for an hour in the same pot.

I ended up with 7 floaters and 4 sinkers.

WTF????
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Matzoh ball puzzle

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 pm

A Jerry Lewis movie? French cuisine would have been appropriate.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Matzoh ball puzzler

by Jenise » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:52 pm

And Jerry's Jewish. I saw him recently on an episode of Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Their mutual Jewishness was very much the heart of their conversation--and humor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:05 pm

Jenise wrote:So the other night for one of my "dinner and a movie projects" I made matzoh balls to go in a spicy beef and tomato broth. I'd originally planned noodles but when I chose Scorcese's The King of Comedy starring Jerry Lewis, the Jewish dumpling seemed a much better fit.

I went with the standard proportion of 1/4 meal to 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 egg, etc., times 3. Mixed it all in one bowl at the same time and cooked them for an hour in the same pot.

I ended up with 7 floaters and 4 sinkers.

WTF????

I'd take a look at your baking powder. After all, you live somewhere near the annual mildew festival, and b.p. goes bad quickly in humid regions. At least, proof it with some water. But I'd probably buy new stuff or make my own with baking soda and cream of tartar. If you buy, avoid the brands with aluminum in the ingredients. And double-acting baking powder also reacts more with heat.

In your area, I'd probably store it with a dessicant package from another product.

FWIW, we used tp joke about coming out with Alzheimer's Beer packaged only in aluminum cans. Aluminum is associated with Alzheimer's d.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am

I don't know what kind I have--popular brand in plastic jar.

But isn't it weird that some were fluffy all the way through and some were little hockey pucks? I certainly mixed the batter well, and with a fork.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:I don't know what kind I have--popular brand in plastic jar.

But isn't it weird that some were fluffy all the way through and some were little hockey pucks? I certainly mixed the batter well, and with a fork.

If the mixture was homogeneous and they were all cooked in one batch, that is--indeed--weird. But if you cooked in batches and lifted the lid to peek, that might explain why some were sinkers. But it may always remain a mystery. <theremin music playing...>
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Homogenous, all cooked at the same time, lid on, almost no peeking! Should have been all right, or all wrong, but not a quasi half-half thing.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Perhaps some of them stuck to the bottom of the pan for a bit?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm

The only other thing I could think of would be very slight (imperceptible to the cook) differences in forming the balls? A couple got handled or squoze just a bit more than the rest?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Sounds like you've got Canadians, they're known to make matzoh meal behave strangely. Can you move the border? :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Perhaps some of them stuck to the bottom of the pan for a bit?

-Paul W.

Good question but no. I stirred initially to make sure that didn't happen.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The only other thing I could think of would be very slight (imperceptible to the cook) differences in forming the balls? A couple got handled or squoze just a bit more than the rest?

Maybe, Anything's possible since nothing's outwardly obvious. FWIW I used a cookie dough baller, then smoothed the rough end in my hands as I dropped them into the pot. It's not an elastic or airy dough, you can't really compact it. It just IS.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Really depends on how you moheld them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar