Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Terrine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Terrine

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:00 pm

No, I didn't spend my day reading through Best of Bridge , though this is the sort of recipe that I recall being there. My excuse for bringing this to your attention is that it is darned good. We sat around and consumed one of these from both sides while sipping some dry new world Rieslings.

4 oz soft goat cheese
4 oz cream cheese
1 small green onion, finely chopped
pinch of salt and pepper
1/3 c finely chopped sundried tomatoes, well drained if packed in oil.
1/2 c pesto sauce, store bought or homemade
1/2 c fresh basil finely chopped to mix into the pesto
2 tbsp balsamic reduction
pine nuts
pitted kalamata olives

Beat the goat cheese, cream cheese, green onion and salt and pepper until smooth.

Spread the mixture into a container. I used a ramekin lined with saran wrap.
Layer the sun dried tomatoes on top of the cheese mixture.

Mix the pesto with the finely chopped basil. I used homemade pesto as I find the store bought pesto is way too loose, however, i have drained the pesto and then mixed in the fresh basil and a bit of parmesan cheese so that it is fairly solid. Layer this on top of the sun dried tomato and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Up end the ramekin on a plate, remove saran wrap. Decorate with a drizzle of balsamic reduction, and olives and pine nuts if you like them. Serve with crackers.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Terrine

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Hmm. An upper-crust version of Middle Age Spread. :D I have some fresh basil kicking around at the moment....

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:34 pm

It looks prosaic but they go for it like a pack of piranhas for a piece of meat.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:52 pm

My mother-in-law has something similar to this. People have taken to bringing scoop-shape chips.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Yeah - if you sit over a plate of this on a table with a glass of wine (white in particular) it is hard to get up and leave until it is all gone.

We had one side pushing it toward the other side saying they had had enough. Then the other side would push it back. By the time it was finished yo-yoing back and forth it had mysteriously pretty much disappeared and both sides just sit there uttering the odd 'oink; sotto voce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:14 am

Sounds pretty damn good, Bill. And the flavors would not be dissimilar from your first taste of my cooking 16 years ago this month at a garden party of yours on Palmerston: a sun-dried tomato cheesecake.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:03 am

Jenise wrote:Sounds pretty damn good, Bill. And the flavors would not be dissimilar from your first taste of my cooking 16 years ago this month at a garden party of yours on Palmerston: a sun-dried tomato cheesecake.

I remember that! Has it been that long? Time passes easily with good friends wielding corkscrews!!