Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fan of Goya products?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Fan of Goya products?

by Jenise » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Depending on your politics, you may think twice next time you reach for a can after reading this:

Robert Unanue, Goya CEO since 2004, has come under fire for remarks he made about President Trump at a roundtable for Hispanic business leaders and the announcement of the Hispanic Prosperity Initiative executive order. “We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Donald Trump, who is a builder,” Unanue said. “We have an incredible builder. And we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president, and we pray for our country — that we will continue to prosper and to grow.”
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Fan of Goya products?

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Yeah, he goes in a ratty old shoebox with Barilla.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 pm

La Preferida is a good brand. :) We preferred La Preferida to Goya long before this, simply on the basis of quality.

Actually, if you dig into it, La Preferida is a fourth-generation family company started by a Mexican family in Chicago and remains focused on Mexican food.
https://www.lapreferida.com/about/

Goya was started by a guy from Spain in New Jersey who had to research the flavors of Mexican food and is now moving into a variety of other world foods including Indian and Chinese \.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... e-america/
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:26 pm

Pity, I love Goya products as good shortcuts in recipes. But, I can do it myself without their help. I think people are entitled to their politics without condemnation from me. But, the job this president has done on Latin people and countries should not be overlooked, especially given the moment. And to have someone from that community heaping praise on him is bewildering to me. (Same way I feel about Kanye.) I will pass the Goya aisle from now until they replace the CEO.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:05 pm

What Jeff and Jo Ann said.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:47 pm

I tried Goya's contact-us link; no dice. It's down. I'm now passing on their products.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Jeff, I now buy Barilla again. GLAAD & HRC both have noted the efforts they made. IMHO if one boycotts to make a point, and are looking for change, one should recognize the change.

I will stop buying Goya. I don't search for political reasons to boycott, but I felt this was a bit OTT for a company built on the pockets (and labor ) of the Hispanic community. Most of the Goya stuff I buy if easily replaceable (black beans etc) but achiote and sazon will necessitate a trip to the Latino grocery (I haven't grown to point of using Latinx).

Robin, I couldn't read article (fire wall) but up till now I was pretty impressed with Goya. A Spanish guy immigrated to PR, married, started a small company, moved to NYC and grew the company, using PR and Spanish connections. It was originally marketed to the Puerto Rican community; it was only later they included Mexican and other Latin American products. Seemed like a remarkable job of serving one's (broader) community. Every Latino community I know has LOTS of Goya products in their supermarkets.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jeff, I now buy Barilla again. GLAAD & HRC both have noted the efforts they made. IMHO if one boycotts to make a point, and are looking for change, one should recognize the change.

Agreed but I also recognize SEO and marketing.

It was my understanding that the initial positive response from Barilla came from Barilla US, not the mothership.

At your instigation I have done some more reading now. They do appear to have changed the corporate culture:
https://www.laweekly.com/four-years-aft ... c-village/

I'll consider relenting in my opinion. But I'm a big believer that people say and do exactly as they wish.

I already buy other brands of pasta. I still don't buy Coors. :D

I will stop buying Goya. I don't search for political reasons to boycott, but I felt this was a bit OTT for a company built on the pockets (and labor ) of the Hispanic community. Most of the Goya stuff I buy is easily replaceable (black beans etc) but achiote and sazon will necessitate a trip to the Latino grocery (I haven't grown to point of using Latinx).

Ditto. The only Goya products I buy are beans and corn meal.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm

I've never bought Coors. If I want making-love-in-a-canoe beer, there are plenty of local brands available. I remember when Coors Light first came on the market. My first reaction was, "how is that possible"?

-Paul W.