Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sai Grok (Isan-Style Sausage)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: Sai Grok (Isan-Style Sausage)

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:45 pm

1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup cooked sticky rice [1, 2]
1-1/2 TBS fresh garlic
1-1/2 TBS pickled garlic [2]
1/2 TBS ground hot pepper (preferably Thai; cayenne works)
1/2 TBS salt
1/2 TBS Golden Mountain Sauce [2]
1/2 tsp powdered coriander seed

[1] Pulverize the fresh and pickled garlic, preferably using a mortar and pestle.

[2] Put the pork and all the rest of the ingredients into a food processor and thoroughly mix. Separate the meat into 3 or 4 sections. Wrap each section tightly with plastic wrap. Wrap the packages in foil for further protection.

[3] Set the sausage packages out at room temperature for 1-2 days (to ferment), then remove the plastic wrap and foil.

IMPORTANT WARNING: I'm sure this method works just fine in the climate of Thailand and if you use freshly ground pork. I don't think this is wise in a temperate climate, or with store-bought ground pork. I keep the packages in the fridge for 2-3 days. I'm probably missing out on the fermented flavor, but I'm also missing out on food poisoning.

[4] Form the sausage into appropriately-sized patties and grill over medium/low heat for 20 minutes or longer until well-cooked, browning, and aromatic.

NOTES

[1] Thai sticky rice is also known as glutinous rice. Conventional long-grain rice isn't suitable here.

[2] Thai pickled garlic and Golden Mountain Sauce are available at Asian markets, or online from https://importfood.com/ .

-Paul W.