Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sai Oua (Northern Thai Sausage)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: Sai Oua (Northern Thai Sausage)

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:31 pm

3/4 cup ground pork
1 cup pork belly fat, cut into small dice [a]
5 fresh kaffir lime leaves [bb]
1/2 cup fresh lemongrass [bb]
2 TBS fresh galangal [bb]
2 TBS Thai red curry paste [bb]
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sugar
3 TBS light soy sauce [see here about soy sauce]
sausage casing (optional)

[1] Finely chop the lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal. A food processor does a good job of this if you slice up the ingredients first.

[2] Mix everything together well in a large mixing bowl. Mix by (gloved, if you wish) hand. Do not knead--make sure the pork fat stays in shape.

[3] Either fill the sausage casing with the mixture (being sure to avoid air pockets), or form the sausage meat into appropriate-sized patties.

[4] Grill the sausage or patties over low heat, until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. If using sausage casing, poke it with a skewer before and during cooking so that the sausage doesn't burst.

NOTES

[a] I used boneless pork belly (aka fresh bacon) with the rind cut off, including the meat as well as the fat. Pork belly used to be hard to find and instead I increased the amount of ground pork and added some peanut oil (lard, I suppose, would be even better). But now pork belly is trendy and easy to find in supermarkets (yay!). The pork belly fat keeps the sausage moist and contributes to its texture. Peanut oil does the moistening bit but you lose something in the texture.

[bb] Fresh kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal are available at Asian markets, or online from https://importfood.com/ .

-Paul W.