Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Watching Hamilton tomorrow night!!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Watching Hamilton tomorrow night!!!!!

by Jenise » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Signed up for the Disney channel today in order to get it.

So I'm thinking ahead to how we can make an event out of it. Rittenhouse Manhattans? New England Boiled Beef?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Watching Hamilton tomorrow night!!!!!

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Ah, yes, New England Boiled Dinner. You put corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots in a pot, cover with water, then cook them until you can't tell them apart. At least, that's the version I grew up with here in New England. I hated it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Mine would be more like what I imagine a true New England boiled dinner to be, but refined with things added variously according to cooking time. Pot-au-Feu essentially. Definitely not corned beef, either!

...okay, just pulled out my Time Life Food of the World series book on New England. Now here's something I love the sound of: Joe Booker Stew! Do you know the dish? Attributed to one Joe of Maine, it's basically boiled beef and dumplings cooked with carrots, rutabegas and potatoes. Tomorrow might be the last cold day of the immediate summer ahead (it's been damned chilly here), so a good night to make something like that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Amazing. I have the whole series of those Time-Life cookbooks. I still use some of the recipes.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Jenise, you are aware that Hamilton was born in the West Indies? There's lot of latitude in what to cook when staying 'at home with Alexander Hamilton'.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 pm

I grew up in Maine, went to college in Massachusetts, and lived my adult life in New Hampshire. I've never heard of Joe Booker Stew. Must be a Maine thing. It does look tasty.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:50 am

Jeff, I was! But still, needed to be a New England meal. Had to get some special stuff installed to enable streaming; we weren't on that before. Which led to a discussion with the installers (a friend and his SIL) about martinis, why wouldn't it, which led to a "gin contest" of every such example of that I own. It's a good thing I have a hearty constitution.

Paul, probably a lot of things in that book you might not recognize. A lot of dishes are named for/attributed to old Inns and the like that would have been locally renowned but not widely known. It's a pretty interesting read, though.