Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Spiced Bourbon-Soaked Cranberries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

RCP: Spiced Bourbon-Soaked Cranberries

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 pm

Ingredients

1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup water
1 cup raw sugar
5 cardamom pods
2 whole star anise
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 to 3/4 cup Kentucky bourbon

Instructions

1. Rinse and dry the cranberries and discard any that are soft. Place the cranberries in a jar, at least 1 pint in size.
2. In a small saucepan, warm the water over medium-high heat. Stir in the sugar. Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes. The liquid should reduce by about 1/4 and thicken into a dark syrup.
3. Add the cardamom, star anise and cloves. Set the pan aside and let cool for at least 1 hour. Stir it occasionally. The longer it sits the more the spices will infuse into it.
4. Strain the spices from the syrup and discard. Pour the syrup into the jar with the cranberries. Add enough bourbon to cover the cranberries. It was about 2/3 cup for me. Give it a stir. Seal the jar with an airtight lid.
5. Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 days before serving, preferably a week.

Notes:
- Tasted after 2 days these were very boozy. After 3 months in the back of the fridge, however, they're excellent.

-----

After six months these things are awesome: the berries still have some chew but now they show citrus and sweet with a subtle spice and warmth. Float a few in any cocktail for a treat. (Does wonders for my Negroni!)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: RCP: Spiced Bourbon-Soaked Cranberries

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am

Nice. When I first started reading I wondered what use they would have. But this would be a perfect addition to drinks. Now all I need to do is find fresh cranberries in July! (Or wait until the fall and then plan to have this drink NEXT July)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Negroni????

Now you have my attention. I thought they were maybe something you'd pour over ice cream, which I'm not into. A negroni, however, is another story.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Yes, they came from a bartending site: fancy stuff to sloosh into or onto your drink. These work nicely with a Negroni because they have enough flavor to stand up to the bitter bullying.

Might toss a few in my next bowl of yogurt, too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Okay, signing in from the Napa Valley of bourbon, I have to ask: Was the infused booze good to drink after it had done its work? I was thinking maybe yes.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I thought they were maybe something you'd pour over ice cream...

Now there's an idea. I like ice cream/sorbet and fruit on the side for dessert at dinner parties. Something sweet to cap off the meal, but nothing too heavy. But hard to match with any drinks and my crew is not so hard-charging anyway these days so they never get around to my spirit cabinet. But boozey berries could be just the way to incorporate something delicious into that phase of the meal!

Of course who knows when such dinner parties will occur again...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, signing in from the Napa Valley of bourbon, I have to ask: Was the infused booze good to drink after it had done its work? I was thinking maybe yes.

Have not tried it... still got a lot of berries to keep.

But bourbon + infused simple syrup sounds familiar.... cranberry julep, anyone?