Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stir-Fry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Stir-Fry

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:08 pm

[referring to the Sichuan cold-noodles-with-sauce subgenre]

Jeff Grossman wrote:That sounds like great stuff for a summer night.

That it is! Traditionally the chicken shreds used in many of these dishes comes from whole chicken lightly seasoned and steamed. Those rotisserie chickens they sell at Costco (and many supermarkets) are an ideal substitute. Saves time and effort and helps keep the kitchen cool on a hot summer's day.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:07 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I'd be wary of the Calphalon unless it's the stainless steel variety. You might ruin the dark Calphalon: "Calphalon Classic Nonstick Cookware is made from durable, hard-anodized aluminum with an interior dual-layer nonstick coating for easy food release, and quick cleanup." :?:

My pans are Calphalon One. Anodized surface, no nonstick. Took a while to condition, I have to say, but nowadays it mostly behaves like cast iron. Not quite the same heat potential but close. I clean with Barkeeper's Friend.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I'd be wary of the Calphalon unless it's the stainless steel variety. You might ruin the dark Calphalon: "Calphalon Classic Nonstick Cookware is made from durable, hard-anodized aluminum with an interior dual-layer nonstick coating for easy food release, and quick cleanup." :?:

My pans are Calphalon One. Anodized surface, no nonstick. Took a while to condition, I have to say, but nowadays it mostly behaves like cast iron. Not quite the same heat potential but close. I clean with Barkeeper's Friend.

Well, give it a try and tell us what happens. FWIW, I've seen plenty of flat-bottomed woks for next-to-nothing at thrift stores and garage sales.

I'm also a big fan of Barkeeper's Friend.
Previous