Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chicken breast and a tip

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Chicken breast and a tip

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:19 pm

I found a great deal on a split chicken breast today. It must've come from a big chicken (t. rex?) weighing in at 3.64 lbs. I deboned it and split it up to store in the freezer, leaving some behind to cook tonight. The bones and scraps are now making stock.*

:idea: I grabbed my freezer bag for the breasts from an easy storage method I use instead of rummaging around in a drawer or under the counter: I have a couple of empty beer 6-pack cartons in which I vertically store my cling wrap, foil, wax paper, parchment paper rolls, etc. Works great.

*Which reminds me of a story that I might have mentioned before (but then I'm a geezer). Years ago, I told my neighbor that she should make stock out of chicken or turkey carcasses. I explained the how, but one day when I dropped in I spied a large skillet with an inch or two of simmering water and an entire turkey carcass sitting in it. "What are you doing," I asked. "Making stock," was her answer. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chicken breast and a tip

by Jenise » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 am

Funny story, Larry. Some people just don't have a feel for this, do they.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chicken breast and a tip

by Jenise » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:21 am

Larry, I'm reminded of just yesterday, a friend who doesn't know how to cook invited us to dinner on Monday. There will be four couples. They're getting take-out BBQ. Describing that choice, she said "we could make flank steak but the oven isn't big enough to make it for eight." HUH? They have a normal size stove with oven, big enough to do a turkey. And they have a Weber barbecue. I have no idea what she meant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov