Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Great Fieri Review

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Great Fieri Review

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:53 am

Well, great in the way that it artfully trashes one of his restaurant openings. I'm no fan of this superannuated wannabe restaurateur and automatically switch away from any of his TV programs, having watched enough to know that nothing he does is likely to hold my attention, but this review by a New York Times critic on a restaurant was something I came across and I admired the writing.

Sorry if there are any Fieri fans out there. My nightmare as a food fan would be to be tied up and subjected to two TV sets running looped shows by Fieri and Rachael Ray, the non-cook that keeps making cooking shows.

On his New York restaurant opening in 2012:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dini ... .html?_r=0

For other's comments I savour Bourdain:

"The minute that you become a father, certain truths become immediately obvious to you. The first second you see your daughter’s head corkscrew out of the womb and open her eyes, they are pretty much saying “Lose the Ramones shirt.” . . . So I’ve made some adjustments in my life. So I sort of feel in a heartfelt way for Guy [Fieri]. I wonder about him. He’s 52 years-old and still rolling around in the flame outfit . . . What does he do? How does Guy Fieri de-douche?"

And the Washington Post said of his restaurant, which closed in 2017:

"During its brief, bloated and misbegotten existence, Guy's American (its motto: "Welcome to Flavor Town!") may have been the most mocked restaurant in the country."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

I guess at least he was a focus of discussion in the TV food scene that has transformed from Julia Child to food game shows (regrettably, one of my favourite FN stars, Alton Brown, has also made missteps in hosting - Cutthroat Kitchen was abysmally bad, if occasionally entertaining).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Great Fieri Review

by Jenise » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:27 am

I may have posted that here, too, Bill. I remember reading the review and absolutely loving it--was great reading it again. Can't believe, in fact, that eight years later, he's still The Food Network's biggest star.

Hell hath no fury like Pete Wells when you piss him off with bad food--or donkey sauce!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov