Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help needed - Corona cooking boredom

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Help needed - Corona cooking boredom

by John F » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:35 am

We have been at our summer home now for 94 days.... most of the time with all of our kids here... that part has been a blessing. I think we have gotten pizza 4 times.... so we have cooked about 90 dinners....also enjoyable. But both my wife and I this morning said we feel “tapped out” trying to think of another dinner for tonight...... anybody have anything fun, different etc they have made recently?

TIA
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Help needed - Corona cooking boredom

by Jenise » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Two recipes that I loved so much I posted them here: Tennessee Shrimp and Grits, and Seared Scallops on noodles with a fantastic vegan sauce based on canned white beans from Barbara Lynch's No. 9 Park, a restaurant I'm sure you'd be familiar with. Easy, fast, and quite elegant. Another I think I posted: halibut (or any firm white fish) coated with a mixture of grated potatoes bound with an egg (latke-like), then pan fried, and served on a liquidy puddle of sugar snap pea puree.

The Shrimp and Grits came from Leite's Culinaria, whose free e-newsletter I signed up for. Virtually every day, a recipe shows up: when I see something I like, I print it and put it in a folder for another day's consideration. There's a scannable data base there, too. I also get frequent e-newsletters from Food & Wine featuring recipe groups with titles like 25 New Ways to Grill Chicken. I've also been inspired occasionally by Christopher Kimball's Milk Street. Their whole gambit it to get you to sign up for or buy the whole newsletter--I haven't, but the free teaser recipe in each is pretty often intriguing. A lot of the recipes lean toward Asian and East Asian, lots of spice, and vegetarian. I've got cauliflower on my shopping list to do a crispy (!), spicy oven roasted version they recently shared. Between those three sources, I have a constant stream of new ideas showing up on my desk, and I recommend them all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:19 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 pm

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Spanish tortas. Not an omelette, not a quiche, open to any ingredients you like. Ferran Adria offered a potato chip torta! Use garlicky snails and chorizo for you; mushrooms and pepperoni for the kids.

Make something stewy and serve it on a trencher, or do soup-bowl-in-a-bread. Plating can make a difference.

Wellington-ize things. Always fun, never all that hard. Salmon coulibiac is always fun because you get different stuff every time you cut into it.

It's getting to be that time... dinner-size BLT sandwiches.

Salade Nicoise, cool and diverse with beans, potatoes, egg, tuna.

Can you make a pork broth and serve your own ramen?
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks everyone..... going to try the shrimp and grits