Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any Harissa Fans?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Any Harissa Fans?

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:40 pm

I was thinking of making up some more harissa. I don't like the commercial ones that use cayenne as much as a recipe I have that uses arbol, guajillo and ancho that you can blend to make something with just the right amount of heat. SWMBO has a much lower heat threshold than I do on things like this and I also prefer not to eat things that have too much heat for you to be able to appreciate the other components of dish. There is also a version that adds rose petals that adds a nice element.

It keeps pretty well in the fridge after mixing, but I have never tried freezing any. Has anyone had any experience with that?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Any Harissa Fans?

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm

I love harissa. Never tried freezing it, though. I would expect it to work, except that it might be a bit watery right after thawing out. But stirring it should restore the consistency. And, based on my experience with freezing raw chiles, I'd use it right away once defrosted.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Hmm - might be a candidate for the ice tray method - freeze small lots up in ie trays and once frozen, wrap each one in plastic wrap to prevent too fast desiccation and put them in a sealed bag in the freezer, thawing only what you will use immediately.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:10 pm

I have liked harissa, but I don't think any two I've ever had (and I've only had a few) tasted alike so I don't have a real sense of what harissa is supposed to taste like. It seems to have as many faces as Mexican salsa. In fact, if you go in with those three chiles, Bill, your end result might be mistaken for same.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:03 pm

By coincidence, my grocery store today had tubes of organic harissa on their clearance end cap for only 49 cents. I also bought a couple of tubes of sundried tomatoes. Can't beat the price.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:By coincidence, my grocery store today had tubes of organic harissa on their clearance end cap for only 49 cents. I also bought a couple of tubes of sundried tomatoes. Can't beat the price.

Food in Tubes! I now have a vision of you somewhere between astronauts eating space food and a painter mixing dribs and drabs on a palette.

Do you happen to wear hats and do you prefer a visor or a beret? ::space smile:: ::artist smile:: :?:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:19 pm

Don't think I'd want to eat directly from that tube of anchovy paste in my fridge. :shock:

Rarely wear a hat. If I'm gardening I'm wearing a sombrero, though. I'm prone to motion sickness, but I'm a painter. So perhaps a beret.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 am

Larry Greenly wrote:If I'm gardening I'm wearing a sombrero, though. I'm prone to motion sickness...

So, it doesn't have the little balls dangling from strings that wave around when you shake your head? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:If I'm gardening I'm wearing a sombrero, though. I'm prone to motion sickness...

So, it doesn't have the little balls dangling from strings that wave around when you shake your head? :mrgreen:

No, but I did consider moving to Australia once upon a time. Figure that out. :mrgreen:

I've been meaning to try a Vietnamese nón lá ("leaf hat"). They're pretty cheap at the local Asian market. I figure those farmers know how to block the sun. :wink: