Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

EAT MORE SALAD!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

EAT MORE SALAD!!!!

by Jenise » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Vitamin K found in some cheeses could help fight COVID-19, researchers say
Author of the article:Laura Brehaut
Publishing date:2 days ago • 2 minute read
Hard Dutch cheeses such as Gouda and Edam are high in vitamin K.

Dutch scientists are exploring a potential link between a deficiency in vitamin K, which is found in high levels in some cheeses, leafy greens and natto, and death from COVID-19.

In a recent study, researchers found that many patients who had either died from the disease or were treated for it at Nijmegen’s Canisius Wilhelmina hospital in the Netherlands had insufficient levels of vitamin K, The Guardian reports.

Now I've got to go look up 'natto'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: EAT MORE SALAD!!!!

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 pm

natto... be very afraid.

A story from my friend, Bruce, who travels very widely and eats fearlessly: He goes into a little neighborhood "luncheonette" spot in Tokyo. He sits down, orders natto, and starts to eat it. As it is gloopy, smelly, fermented soybeans this is a tough thing for Western palates. An old Japanese guy, sitting at the end of the counter, watching my friend's reaction, leans over and says, "We eat it because it is traditional."

The implication was not lost on Bruce, and they both had a good laugh.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote: "We eat it because it is traditional."

It's gotta be the same thing with lutefisk.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 pm

Chinese dried sea cucumbers (beche de mer--pardon my French) can go onto the list along with natto and lutefisk. The Chinese Cookbook by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee notes the yield for each recipe. A typical example: 4 to 6 servings. The low number is assuming you're serving it Western style as a single main course. The high number is if it is served Chinese style with several other dishes.

The yield for the recipe "sea cucumbers with pork sauce" reads: 95 Western servings, 12 Chinese servings.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:15 pm

I have a Bruce story about sea cucumbers, too:

He was in Seoul and decided he wanted to eat like a local so he went a few stops on the subway, and entered the nearest eatery. His usual tactic is to look around at what other people have and point at one of them, but there was nobody else present. The menu was written on boards hanging up on the wall... but he doesn't read Korean... so he just pointed to one.

The woman behind the counter took out two bowls and several little brown lumpy things (...in hindsight, these were probably sea cucumbers). She cut them in half, scooping the bright orange insides into one bowl and putting the brown husks in another bowl. At this point Bruce's main concern was that she should cook whatever it is.

But, no, she seasoned and dressed the two bowls and served them to him as is.

He never did tell me whether the liked it.