Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you like rhubarb?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Do you like rhubarb?

by Jenise » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Personally, I have very little experience with it. Until very recently, I've had mostly inept, runny, soggy rhubarb pies and the like which absolutely killed any curiosity I had about it. Oh, and when I was a kid, my Grammy would make this green sludge that she'd eat out of a bowl at breakfast.

Then two things happened since moving to Washington: at a multi-course dinner in Vancouver designed for barolo, the chef served a genius course that was seared foie gras on an oaty rhubarb crumble that was the absolute perfection of sweet/sour in a way that matched the wines brilliantly. Would never in a million years have paired those two items but it was perfect in execution and purpose. And then, we went to Iceland one April where rhubarb in various delicious forms was a common garnish or ingredient at various high end restaurants. I guess it grows easily in volcanic rock.

So last week I was doing a southern themed dinner for another couple who happen to have a rhubarb plant but very little idea what to do with it--besides make desserts. So I bought a single branch of rhubarb with which to make a creamy vinaigrette dressing for grilled halves of little gem lettuce. And I picked the reddest one in the pile.

MISTAKE: my dressing, which tasted great, was the ugliest color of pink. My guests did not find it repulsive but I personally can't want to put something in my mouth that looks like a Revlon product. To disguise it, I scattered more chopped pecans and chives over the top, plus purple chive blossoms, than I would have otherwise, which actually turned out to be a positive. It was delicious, and my guests were duly impressed by the idea of a rhubarb based salad dressing--but I'm not doing that again.

This month's PLATE magazine is featuring rhubarb in unexpected ways. A clear broth for raw scallops, and kimchi arancini with rhubarb umeboshi in particular caught my eye. But first up I'm going to try to recreate that foie gras with rhubarb crumble.

Any rhubarb fans here?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Do you like rhubarb?

by Matilda L » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Rhubarb? As a dessert, I can take it or leave it. Generally speaking, I like things with a sour tang. I've been fed some rhubarb desserts in my life that suffered because the cook tried to over-compensate for the sourness by loading it up with sugar - not an improvement, in my view. Apart from the usual Anglo-Oz array of stewed rhubarb, rhubarb pie, rhubarb crumble, steamed rhubarb sponge, I haven't come across it very much. Under-used and no doubt under-appreciated.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm not a fan.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:31 pm

I think I recall a roast duck served with rhubarb. The rhubarb had been sweetened just a little bit, bringing the sourness down a little but still enough to cut through the fat. But that might be the only "savory" use I can recall.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:59 pm

It's been a while, but I like rhubarb. Even made a few rhubarb-strawberry pies in my life. When I lived in Pennsylvania, you could find it growing wild along roads. Another early name for it was "pie plant."
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:42 am

I'm not a fan, either. Almost any pie, except Rhubarb and Mince.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:21 am

Fan is probably a stretch, but it's definitely a nice part of the seasonal shift in food. My wife downright loves it, we make compote for our daily breakfast with yogurt and fruit. But as a kid I enjoyed my mother's strawberry rhubarb pie. And yes, when chefs do clever and well-executed things, it usually tastes good!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:41 am

Rhubarb - what people use to stretch too few strawberries.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Glad to hear there are some fans. I started the umeboshi (essentially this is just a cure with a 2:1 ratio of sugar and salt) The recipe indicated two weeks to maturity, but 24 hours out I can attest to easily gnoshing my way through the whole container. Quite chewy, but I love chewy. And I love having a fridge full of pickly things to snack on. A number of neighborhood households have a plant they can never use enough of, so I'll have an unending supply for further exploration.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Sounds wonderful but, alas, I'm on low-carb. I recently bought Edie a sack of plums last week that are still crunchy as an apple and haven't an atom of sweetness. Talk about picking while unripe...
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:34 am

Love it.

We made rhubarb crumble Sunday and had it as dessert then and last night.

The plant grows well without maintenance or trouble from slugs etc, (though something takes some holes out of the leaves, but since you don't uses them its no concern.)

Love the taste of rhubarb - I put it in the same category as gooseberry.

Never had it in a pie, I'd assume its high moisture content would make the pie base soggy.

The other use we make of it is as rhubarb and ginger jam - gorgeous. We have it on scones at the weekend.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:46 pm

I can see the gooseberry association, Peter.

To all: my day 3 cured rhubarb chunks are divine. So good that I made another batch because no way is the first group going to make it two weeks as described by the recipe. I don't think, in fact, that I'd want them to get a lot softer (which judging by the pic with the recipe is what would happen).
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Peter May wrote:
Never had it in a pie, I'd assume its high moisture content would make the pie base soggy.

I seem to recall that cornstarch (or another thickener) took care of the soggy problem.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:52 am

I've had it cooked as a pot pie, the stewed fruit in a pie dish and a pastry lid over the top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
Peter May wrote:

I seem to recall that cornstarch (or another thickener) took care of the soggy problem.

It does/would. But I think some people miscalculate the extent to which it will continue to weep post-thickening.
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 pm

I have never been a huge fan, but I love trying new things with it. Last week on a hike by my house I went through hundreds of them growing in the wild. I will have to try the umeboshi method, sounds good!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Jenise wrote:
It does/would. But I think some people miscalculate the extent to which it will continue to weep post-thickening.

Sounds like a great idea to eat it asap.