Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Implements You Rarely Use

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Implements You Rarely Use

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:23 pm

I know that I have done threads on oddball tools along the lines of 'guess what this is for", but this is a bit different, spurred the thread on spiralizers.

What do you have in your kitchen that you almost never use, but that comes in really handy when you need it?

I'm going to nominate something that has either been misplaced or discarded in our move 4 years ago - a chinois. This is pretty handy of you need to strain a pretty fine puree and works better than trying to do it by gravity in a funnel with cheesecloth because you have a conical tool to force the mixture through.

For your amusement, when looking for an image small enough to post here, Google took me to this:

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Implements You Rarely Use

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:38 pm

I own one of those, too, and it mostly just sits on the shelf. My latest batch of Inner Beauty Hot Sauce came out a bit lumpy--the mango and habaneros didn't puree completely. I'm going to put it through the chinois.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Bill, the second picture was worth the post all by itself.

I have dozens of things that qualify, including two large Chinois and a small one, maybe 2 cup size if that, that comes in handy more often as I'm generally only cooking for two. I have a pan that's only for making crepes--used it last night! And a grill pan that I *only* use for fish because I don't want fish flavors on other meats. A tortilla press. A kitchen mill that I thought I'd use a whole lot more often than I do. A ravioli form that makes perfect ravioli but I am more inclined to hand-cut as I favor that truly home-made look. A set of molds shaped like Volkswagens. A half-moon shaped strainer with a handle for holding on the edge of a pan and holding back the food while draining away the cooking water that I have never used, not even once. I either use a colander or just hold a lid against the pan--rarely lose anything.

I don't own an electric knife but if I did it would be on this list. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Jenise wrote: A set of molds shaped like Volkswagens.

I don't own an electric knife but if I did it would be on this list. :)

Doesn't owning those molds 'bug' you...... :mrgreen:

And we had/have an electric knife - they are quite useful for slicing delicate food (like some terrines) that you would crush if you put too much pressure on them. Now I'll have to try and find my electric knife. Damn!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:18 am

The molds were purchased on a lark--we have friends that we've travelled with in cars, where on the road we play a game called SlugBug. We used to have them over for overnighters like you've had us, to I bought the molds and baked breakfast muffins in them for a joke. Talk about single purpose!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:52 am

I guess it would be too obscure to refer to molds for making kubelwagens as 'kugelwagen molds.....
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:29 pm

If I had some time to think, I imagine I would choose several items. But the only one I can think of now is my stainless steel conical perforated strainer with pestle. I know I used it once to make a Concord grape pie, which won 1st prize at our state fair.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Jenise wrote:The molds were purchased on a lark

PS - when did you guys buy a Studebaker....?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:02 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:The molds were purchased on a lark

PS - when did you guys buy a Studebaker....?

Funny you bring that up. My father had a '59 red Studebaker Lark station wagon, which I was allowed to drive. What a pathetic, under-powered excuse for a car. If I tried to pass someone, my passenger could hold a conversation with the other driver or play a card game until we got around him.

There was a steep hill in my town leading up to the state college. One night, with three other guys, I drove up the hill, but had to stop at a stop sign part way up. When I started again, the car didn't have enough power to go forward. I had to coast back down the hill.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am

A lady I used to teach swimming with owned an early 50s Studebaker GT, the one with the jet intake in the nose. It was likewise incapable of anything but a very leisurely progress through life. IIRC one door catch had been replaced with a rope that went from one side of the inside of the car to the other and had to be retied every time the door was opened....

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:42 pm

That does knot sound easy.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:That does knot sound easy.

Har, har!

Got lots of idiot car stories (fortunately I was rarely the idiot).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Got lots of idiot car stories (fortunately I was rarely the idiot).

Fine, I see the wriggling little fish.

Pick two to tell us.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:03 pm

The image of the chinois on the original post seems to have disappeared.

-Paul W.,
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Got lots of idiot car stories (fortunately I was rarely the idiot).

Fine, I see the wriggling little fish.

Pick two to tell us.

OK (though waaay off topic of course).

One guy was too cheap to fix his parking brake on a Triumph TR3, so came up with the (not) brilliant idea of drilling a hole in his transmission tunnel over the driveshaft, and continuing the hole through the driveshaft itself (IIRC he did two holes at 90 deg. to each other), Parking procedure became coming to a stop, then dropping a long carriage bolt into the hole in the tunnel, and slooowly rolling a little until it lined up with the hole in the driveshaft and dropped through. It actually worked pretty well until he came out of a pub one night carrying a surfeit of lager on board, jumped into the car and fired it up, and instead of pulling out the 'parking pin' just drove away. It nearly bisected the remains of the tunnel and barely missed removing some bits of his anatomy that most of us would consider to be vital to life quality. Left bruises both physical and mental and gave us ammunition for derision for months.

Another one was when I walked into a friend's shop (he ran a garage specializing in British cars. He was on the other side of a six cylinder engine block on an engine stand, reassembling the bottom end, but was scratching his head and complaining that the engine had locked up and he couldn't turn it after installing the last piston and rod assembly. I broke out laughing as I was standing on the other side with the top of the block and could see the piston sticking all the way out of the block with one of the rings locking it in place. He was working on a Triumph GT6 engine and the shop had sent him a TR6 crank, from a basically identical engine but with longer stroke, so the piston popped out the top and stuck.

I'll give you a third one where the joke was on me. I was driving a 1958 MG and the battery was going out on it, so being a typically impecunious university student, I simply took to parking on hills (which was OK only as long as some git didn't park right behind you on the downhill side). The car was well tuned and would bump start with a couple of turns of the engine and saved me the money for a new starter for some weeks. Until I was out with my girlfriend and decided that the battery was probably charged enough for one start so pulled into the local drive in for a burger. Of course it wouldn't start, and the embarrassment of having to get out of the car in front of the other people, most of whom were driving American muscle cars, and getting the starter handle from the boot and cranking the engine to life to their jeers and clapping was a humiliation I was only able to conceal by eventually marrying the girlfriend to ensure her silence on the subject.

Guess we could make that last one technically on topic for this thread is we viewed the rarely used implement as my common sense.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The image of the chinois on the original post seems to have disappeared.

-Paul W.,

Yes it did - and I spent 10 minutes trying to find another image that this site would accept (we have far more restrictive standards than most sites) but failed - none of the half dozen or so images of suitable size that I found would show here. I give up.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm

You may remember the story about why the British drank warm beer.

They had Lucas refrigerators. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 pm

And that was funny only because few had experience with Marelli, the Italian equivalent!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:You may remember the story about why the British drank warm beer.

They had Lucas refrigerators. :mrgreen:

Ah, yes, Lucas the Prince of Darkness. A friend of mine had a Range Rover with Lucas electrics. The heater would only work if the radio was on. The mechanic looked under the hood, slammed it back down, and exclaimed "Lucas!".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Back to the topic of implements. I have one of those George Forman Grills that I've never used.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Back to the topic of implements. I have one of those George Forman Grills that I've never used.

-Paul W.

That one probably falls into a special category - things that you are likely to get as wedding presents that you will never use. They include that grille, fondue pots and anything made by K-Tel.

Not perhaps the absolute worst wedding gift. I heard second hand about a low life that routinely gave a cheque to the newlyweds that was intentionally bad, figuring that only a few would ever come back and ask for him to make it good. Now THAT is low!!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Speaking of K-Tel, I haven't used my Popeil Pasta Maker in years.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Other famous K-Tel products (the first two are wine related). We should nominate our favourite - or the one we bought or were given back in the day.

https://youtu.be/8UzDsigoGY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzNbd3E9Oo

https://youtu.be/fzJVHWAL7vk

https://youtu.be/iX_6fgtkMZg

https://youtu.be/ZzqIWgK_Wbs

https://youtu.be/O81OIvZD-Gg

https://youtu.be/1GniNeqSX5U
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Back to the topic of implements. I have one of those George Forman Grills that I've never used.

-Paul W.

I've somehow acquired two. Once in a while I'll use the small one for making paninis or grilled cheese.
Next