Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Implements You Rarely Use

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Implements You Rarely Use

by Jenise » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:01 am

Jeff--that's a funny story. Mine's a Waring that Costco had for $60 a dozen years ago. Looks just like the big contraptions in deli's but with a much smaller foot print. I have the luxury of a pantry with storage space for bulky appliances. That's where this, the Food Saver, the waffle iron, the sous vide machine (it's small, but the container I use exclusively for it isn't), and the pressure cooker live. One doesn't need to do French Dip sandwiches for 50 very often, but when you do...!

Bill, re unitaskers: pshaw!!!! That's just bravado! We all have kitchens full of unitaskers. Coffee machine? Vertical toasters? Panini press? And every good kitchen should have a drawer dedicated to the little hand-held, one-job wonders that make food preparation easy and elegant. They would include but are not limited to manual can openers, lemon reamers, truffle slicers, garlic presses, citrus zesters, pinbone tweezers, my famous asparagus peeler, ice cream scoops, dough scoops (I have four sizes!) and the like. Could include your shrimp deveiner, too, if a fork didn't work just fine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Implements You Rarely Use

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 pm

My last electric can opener died a couple of decades ago. I bought a manual one to replace it and have never looked back. Not only will it not fail you midway through opening a can, it works on everything--even those weird square cans from China.

I don't often make mashed potatoes, but when I do I use a potato ricer. Much easier than the hand-held potato masher my mom used to use.

Also on the potato front, I have a gadget that looks like two wire mesh cups, each with a long handle, and one fitting inside the other. It's used to turn shredded raw potatoes into deep-fried bird's nests.

-Paul W.
Previous