Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spiralizer?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Spiralizer?

by John F » Sun May 31, 2020 4:25 pm

I just spent .... $20 on zucchini noodles..... ridiculous.... anyone own a spiralizer? Thoughts?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Spiralizer?

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm

Nope. I think if I ran a dietary training camp I'd have to have one. As it goes, though, I'm not a gadget freak and that's one I'm perfectly happy to do without.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 pm

Love gadgets. Don't have that one. I've never found zucchini noodles that interesting. Ditto sushi rolls wrapped in cucumber.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Jeff, where in the world do you keep your gadgets? Remember, I've seen your one-man kitchen.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 pm

In one of my cabinets, way on the top shelf, there is a red wicker basket. It has all the infrequently-used things, though it also has my rolling pin.

The commonly-used ones live in a drawer in a cabinet just outside the kitchen door:
lr circ.jpg

Though, now that you bring it up, I should probably send a few of those to the wicker basket and bring my pastry cutter down. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm

I don't have a spiralizer, but a friend who's a good cook has one and swears by it, particularly for making pasta-like dishes that cut the calories and carbs way down. They're probably not for hardshell food geeks, but I wouldn't judge.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:39 am

Robin Garr wrote: They're probably not for hardshell food geeks, but I wouldn't judge.

That's never stopped me. :) From a distance I'm willing to consider that enabling onesself to make zoodles isn't in the same category as owning a salad shooter (John F has spent so much time out of the country that he may not even know what that is), but right or wrong that's where my head goes first.
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm

My wife has Celiac's so I've tried all kinds of Gluten free noodles and do own a spiralizer. It works well, but honestly I just don't make zoodles that often...

My little sister who is very healthy uses her's every week.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:05 pm

I have a spiralizer made in the 1950s - manual style

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:24 pm

I have one of those, too. But I only ever see it used on potatoes and only on the side of a wooden board with a chateaubriand in the middle of it.