Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Deliveroo - I'm impressed!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Deliveroo - I'm impressed!

by Peter May » Sun May 17, 2020 6:39 am

So it was suggested I had a night off cooking and we ordered Italian from Deliveroo

Most of the places on site are pizza and fried chicken fast food joints and also many Indian restaurants, but recently a couple of Italian restaurants appeared and it is from one of them we ordered.

What's impressed me was the amount of information about the progress of our order. On the map they have they showed mine and the restaurant's location, and the location - constantly updated - of the Deliveroo deliverers. So I saw one return to the restaurant and the status changed from preparing my meal to handed to the deliverer. I could then see that dot move along the roads to my house.

Deliveroo also gave a short link to the map which Mrs M put on her phone so I left the desktop upstairs and as the driver came into our road on the map I opened the door as he pulled up outside. All payments (including tip) are made via the Deliveroo site so no money exchanged hands and the driver left the food bags at the front door and stepped back to thank me for the tip.

Each dish was nicely packed in waterproofed corrugated cardboard sealed boxes, and was plentiful. There was no room on my plate for side after the main - which I couldn't finish - went on it. The sides were so plentiful we had them for lunch next day and as a side with dinner the next night.

I don't know if other places are so generous with portion size, but the Deliveroo experience was perfect.

Time from orders was placed to receiving it was 26 minutes - estimate given was 20-25 minutes.

Well --- I wrote the above assuming Deliveroo, like so many other tech companies - was a US company you'd all know about. But I checked and although it operates in 13 countries in addition to the UK it is a UK company.

However it was started by a New Yorker who moved to London and found he couldn't get food delivered from restaurants like back home. So I'm assuming this kind of food delivery service is commonplace in the US.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Deliveroo - I'm impressed!

by Jenise » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am

Not where I live. But Peter, good for you for trying, and I'm glad you were so pleased.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov