Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mundane.......

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Mundane.......

by John F » Tue May 12, 2020 5:06 pm

We got into a bit of a discussion yesterday about eggs......brown, white, organic, large, jumbo etc......does anyone have any strong opinions?? I never thought too much about it really....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Mundane.......

by Robin Garr » Tue May 12, 2020 5:50 pm

I've read too much about industrial egg production, John. I won't eat commercial eggs any more for both humane and health reasons. I love locally produced organic eggs, though (or eggs from a neighbor with chickens when I can do that). They're always brown, or multiple pastel colors, and the quality difference is really obvious in the bright yellow-orange yolks that stand up high and in the good flavor.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 12, 2020 6:15 pm

The bigger sizes are definitely bigger. If your recipe is sensitive to moisture you'll be able to tell.

Color does not seem to matter.

Freshness and heritage (meaning, factory vs farm) also matter.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 am

https://sf.eater.com/2018/11/7/18072268 ... d-approved

Just checked my eggs bought at TJs. Listed as cage-free CA compliant. I doubt I've seen eggs that aren't cage-free within the last year or so.

Can't say I detected a difference early on, and now that's all we have.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 am

Only time I use eggs at home is when I make Yorkshire Puddings.

Jo buys eggs and sometimes has boiled eggs for lunch. The supermarket we use sells only free range eggs.

They say " All Waitrose & Partners eggs come from free range hens, who have lots of room to roam in grassy paddocks and are reared by British farmers we know and trust. Our welfare standards mean we’ve held Compassion in World Farming’s Good Egg Award since 2008"

Brown/white? One time decades ago we were told that brown shell eggs were better than white so we bought brown, then we learned that this was a myth..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2020 10:36 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Color does not seem to matter.

We've had this argument before. It does! Like Robin, we buy farm eggs. All kinds of colors. Now if you had two brown eggs today and two green eggs tomorrow, you might not think one day's tasted differerent from the others, especially scrambled. But if you eat only fried eggs and both are different colors, you might notice a difference. And let me tell you, Bob always does. I've blind-tested him maybe 100 times, and IN ALL CASES BUT ONE he preferred the green egg in the pair. He says it's just a few percentage points richer. And in cooking multiple colors for hard boiled eggs? I've seen with my own eyes that the green ones usually have a higher ratio of yolk to white--and to an egg eater who loves yolks that will also make a difference, they'll be fattier. (I'm the egg eater who prefers the white, so it matters to me too.)

As in ALL things food, color matters.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am

he preferred the green egg in the pair.

Jenise.....I have never seen a green egg in my life!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 13, 2020 11:31 am

Green eggs and ham? *

I thought the color of chicken eggs depended on what the hens were fed. Or is there a difference between different breeds?

-Paul W.

* Or if you prefer:
"We have green sandwiches and brown sandwiches."
"What's the green?"
"It's either very old meat or very new cheese."
"I'll take the brown."
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed May 13, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm

I believe both species and feed matter.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Species certainly makes a difference. But aren't all domestic chickens just breeds of the same species, as is the case with dogs and cats?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Color of shell and color of yolk are different issues.

Looking strictly at yolks, though, eggs from the same group of hens fed the same food will produce variations in yolk color.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2020 2:22 pm

Here's what the eggs look like from the farm stand I go to:

eggs.jpg

John, this is probably the only topic on the planet in which anyone could accuse you of living a sheltered life!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.