Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Taking stock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Taking stock

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Yesterday I made chicken stock for the first time. I used Julia Child's recipe from The Way to Cook. Very simple:

[1] Put 2 quarts chicken meat, scraps, bones, carcass in a pot and add enough water to cover by one inch. Julia adds a bit of salt. I didn't.

[2] Bring to a simmer and skim off the scum that rises.

[3] When scum stops appearing (about 5 minutes), add 1/2 cup each roughly chopped carrot, celery, and onion, and a bay leaf.

[4] Cover and simmer for a couple of hours (I left it for 4 hours). When it's done, skim off any fat. Pour through a strainer (I lined the strainer with cheesecloth).

I used the carcass from a supermarket rotisserie chicken, tips cut off chicken wings, and the bones from making Chinese red-cooked chicken. Even before putting in the aromatics, it had a wonderful aroma--probably because of the red-cooked chicken bones. I put the strained stock in the refrigerator to congeal any remaining fat.

This morning the stock had congealed into a semi-set gelatin. I had to heat it mildly to melt it into a liquid so that I could pour it into ice cube molds so that I could freeze it in convenient quantities.

Commercial stock remains liquid at refrigerator temperatures. I suspect the high ratio of bones and skin means that my stock has a lot more gelatin in it than the commercial stock. Is the tendency of this stock to set in the fridge likely to interfere with any of its applications?

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Mon May 11, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Taking stock

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Sounds like it'll be just fine. It's particularly good for soup dumplings the way it is.

Anyway, if it troubles you, easy to fix: just add a bit of water. (Or, if you're in need of demi-glace, reduce it some more.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks, Jeff. How could I have forgotten soup dumplings? What I did is almost exactly the recipe for the gelatin that's used in making them.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm

No complications. It's just more intense this way with wonderful viscosity.

Now that you've made a conventional French stock, play with using a few green onions, garlic, a few peppercorns and a few coins of ginger for an Asian vibe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue May 12, 2020 4:32 am

Sounds perfect to me! That gelatin gives the stock a good mouth feel,,particularly important when the stock is used as a base for a clear soup.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Last night I squandered a quart of mine in a risotto--best thing I could have done!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov