Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What was your first cook book?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: What was your first cook book?

by Bill Spohn » Sat May 09, 2020 2:06 pm

As a diver, and the friend of an abalone diver, I always had lots of ab in the freezer (this was before they suspended the fishery) and I made Graham's 'Abalone Victoria' several times to excellent reviews.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 09, 2020 3:35 pm

He lives near me (Graham). I was going to write to him about getting together for lunch (I mean, why not try?) but then this virus hit. Won't happen now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 10, 2020 3:30 am

Ah, yes, pickled corn. A sign of summer in my house. Good recipe to take to neighborhood watch and other gatherings. Thanks, Jenise. Actually, I peek in around here from time to time. Haven't really been away so much as silent.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 am

The Christmas before I first got married, my older sister gave me a copy of "The Busy Woman's Cookbook" (ed. Ellen Sinclair), published by the Women's Weekly, which was the most widely read and most influential women's magazine in Australia at the time. I've still got the book, and there are a few dishes that I still cook from it occasionally. It's a product of its time - published 1972 - and shows a snapshot of what was becoming "regular food" during that period. The recipes are simple, and they represent what would have been considered smart, modern and up-to-the-minute at the time.

busywoman.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Matilda, love the hair on the book cover model. Very much of the era, isn't it. Can't see her feet but white go-go boots wouldn't be a surprise.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 am

I don't remember a very specific "first" but I do remember my wife and I when we were engaged/married using very heavily:

- Pierre Franey 60 Minute Gourmet
- NYT Cookbook (a massive book with a black cover)
- The first two Silver Palates

It was the Silver Palate books that really got me thinking more about food and cooking and trying new things, being seasonal etc.....it was fun to be on that learning curve then
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 19, 2020 1:34 pm

John F wrote:- Pierre Franey 60 Minute Gourmet
- NYT Cookbook (a massive book with a black cover)

I had both of those, John, as a young adult, and I loved them, and Pierre's follow-up 60 Minute books, too. He really moved me up the learning curve. When I got to the point that I could actually make his dishes in less than an hour, I knew that I was going to be able to cook. ;)
Previous