Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Salsa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Salsa

by Peter May » Fri May 01, 2020 12:43 pm

To go with burgers I decided to make a salsa.

I quartered two medium sized tomatoes, and roasted them in the oven at 180C, turning it off after 45 minutes but leaving the toms in - idea was to intensify their flavour.

Day after I chopped them in a processor, added a quarter red onion, and chilli, both finely chopped, and the juice of a lemon. Stirred, covered with cling film and left in fridge for half a day to let the flavours meld.

With the burger I though, 'is that it?' It tasted like chopped tomato, just like all the commercial salsa I've had before. I can't see the point. Obviously not for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Salsa

by Jenise » Fri May 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Peter, that sounds more like spaghetti sauce. Not surprised it didn't impress you. To an American who grew up in L.A. (think El Lay), that's not salsa!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Peter, you could have saved a lot of time and effort for an authentic Mexican salsa roja. Salsa really works best with chopped fresh tomatoes, no cooking required whatsoever! :)

This recipe grabbed off the 'net looks like the real thing. Is cilantro going to be hard to get in the UK?

Ingredients
3 Tomatoes
1/4 Onion
1/4 bunch of cilantro
1 clove of garlic
1 jalapeño
olive oil
salt to taste

Instructions
Blend the tomato, garlic, and jalapeño in a blender.
Separately, dice the onions and the cilantro.
Add the tomato, garlic, jalapeño mixture to a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil.
Heat over medium high heat until it begins to boil, and then remove from heat.
Put the salsa in a bowl, add the cilantro and onion, and stir well.
Add salt to taste.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Good recipe, Robin: out here it's what we'd call a pico de gallo. Often a bit of lime juice or white vinegar are added for tartness. Peter shouldn't have problems finding cilantro--they probably call it coriander there like the rest of Europe but I'm sure he knows that.

If Peter doesn't like raw tomatoes, roasted salsas are great as well. To make one, just pan sear tomato slices, onion slices and char some chiles, then grind up (coarsely, don't puree) in a food processor or blender (black bits and all) with raw cilantro, garlic and lime juice. A bit of water might be required to loosen it up, depending on how juicy the tomatoes were.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Cilantro is the Spanish name for fresh coriander leaves. In the UK I'd expect to find it at Indian groceries.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat May 02, 2020 5:30 am

I saw several recipes online, including the one with ingredients posted by Robin, but it was raw, not boiled.

Cilantro is completely unknown as a name, the leaves are coriander here, the seeds are coriander seeds, and both are in every supermarket because of their use in Indian cooking.

I didn't use any because I don't have any and we're not leaving the house to buy some under Govt instructions.

I think salsa is not for me, I've had it in various restaurants in the USA and at parties where it comes as a dip for tortilla chips.

For hamburgers I think tomato ketchup is essential, and I like that green stuff that's made from finely chopped ? sweet pickled cucumber?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Peter May wrote:I saw several recipes online, including the one with ingredients posted by Robin, but it was raw, not boiled.

Robin's recipe WAS essentially raw. The cook was very light, just a bit of heat to relax and meld the flavors. Not what we'd call boiled. But you may be right that authentic salsa's just not for you.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Peter May wrote:For hamburgers I think tomato ketchup is essential, and I like that green stuff that's made from finely chopped ? sweet pickled cucumber?

On this side of the pond that's called "pickle relish", and yes, it's mainly finely chopped pickled cucumber. Pickled cucumber slices are more common with hamburgers over here. Pickle relish is more commonly spread on hot dogs (frankfurters) when they're served in a long bun.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Have you tasted a salsa verde?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun May 03, 2020 7:10 am

I don't think so, unless the South American Chimichurri counts. That's good with steaks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Peter May wrote:I don't think so, unless the South American Chimichurri counts. That's good with steaks

It is, but it doesn't count as salsa verdi.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am

Jenise wrote:
Peter May wrote:I don't think so, unless the South American Chimichurri counts. That's good with steaks

It is, but it doesn't count as salsa verdi.

Great...now I am going to start coming up with lyrics for classical songs about salsa. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

:lol: Il Salsatore!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm

La Salsa Del Destino!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Just sprayed coffee on the monitor.

Honestly, I know how to spell verde, I really do!