Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tartiflette

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

RCP: Tartiflette

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:38 am

Tartiflette

1 clove garlic
Potatoes to fill a small gratin pan, peeled, cut into thick slices
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fat: butter or duck fat
6 oz of smoke/salt cured pork (any kind, just get the best available to you)
1/2 cup dry white Savoie type wine
1/3 cup crème fraiche or heavy whipping cream
1/2 of a Reblochon de Savoie

Prep:
- Preheat oven to 550*F.
- Grease the gratin pan with some extra duck fat, crush a garlic clove, and rub the garlic clove all over the inner surface of the pan.

1. Heat the duck fat in a heavy skillet and add the onions, bacon and ham, and sauté gently for 3-5 minutes.

2. Add the potatoes and continue to sauté for 5 more minutes.

3. Add the wine, give the potatoes a stir, season with salt and pepper as desired, cover and let simmer and steam in the wine for 10 minutes more.

4. Add the crème fraiche to the potato onion bacon mixure, and transfer it to the gratin pan.

5. Slice the Reblochon in half with a sharp knife flat wise, and place the two pieces on top of the potatoes, rind side up. Place into the very hot oven and bake for 10 minutes.

6. Turn the heat down to 400F and bake 10 more minutes

7. Turn off the oven, and leave the dish in the oven without opening it for another 10 minutes.

Serve hot with a salad, crusty bread, and the wine you cooked with.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

Re: RC: Tartiflette

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:42 am

Here's how I diverged from this recipe on Sunday:
- I used 3# of small yellow potatoes instead of sliced Idahos
- I cooked them 5 minutes longer in the wine than is written (my last outing with tartiflette resulted in some under-done potatoes and that is very unpleasant; I should probably update the recipe)
- I did not get Reblochon; I used Chaumes (a little under 2# slab)
- Of course, I did not use onion; I subbed several more garlic cloves
- I have goose fat handy, not duck fat
- My pork choice this time was pancetta, which I got good and crisp before proceeding
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:27 am

OMG there is nothing about that not to like, original or subs. Spuds, stinky cheese, pig. Swoon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. Would you mind changing the "RC:" in the topic title to "RCP:"? Back on the old Board we used to use "TN:" to indicate tasting notes and "RC:" for recipes, in order to allow visitors to search for tasting notes and recipes. But this latest incarnation of the forum software won't let you search for two-letter and one-letter words. So we switched to RCP and WTN (wine-tasting note).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

Re: RCP: Tartiflette

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:53 pm

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 pm

I did some research on it, Jeff, and really enjoying this article which rather studiously (for newspaper food writing) compares a number of different and esteemed sources on what makes a perfect Tartiflette.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/feb/27/how-to-cook-perfect-tartiflette

Saw a lot of pictures, too. Have to admit, in spite of tradition, I'm not sold on the looks of the cheese rind sitting up there (and taking the place of crusty potatoes which I relish above most things).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:30 am

Thanks for that article. Indeed, quite a nice studious piece. I am somewhat gratified that my recipe is extremely close to the author's optimized one. (He's dead wrong about cubing the spuds, however. :D )

Re the cheese crust: I don't find it appealing either visually or gustatorially. I take it to be a bit like the flourish of the boar's head or the Thanksgiving turkey at the table... ooh, ahh!... then back into the kitchen with it. The rind comes off easily and it is crispy, if it's your thing.

Anyway, as there really isn't a heritage for the dish -- that was something I did not know about it! -- you'd be within your rights, I think, to sling it under a broiler before serving.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 am

Not he, but a she.

Like the boar's head...that's a funny comparison, but apt I'm sure. And it persuades me to skip the rind entirely, fie on tradition, I'd rather have crusty potatoes. Besides I don't have the proper cheese anyway--it's on the menu tonight with a combination of jarlsberg and havarti which maybe defeats the whole thing but a potato gratin with onions and bacon is not to be sneezed at under any circumstances.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Not he, but a she.

I knew I should have checked!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:01 pm

So I made this--kind of--last night. No reblochon, but Havarti alone worked well. Used russet potatoes, so the pre-cook on the potatoes was less than your recipe called for in order to protect the slices as whole pieces, and the oven time longer to achieve the desired doneness.

The result was utterly fantastic. Adding the wine to steam the potatoes and infuse them with an elusive extra layer of sophistication prior to the oven bake is absolute genius. I will never go back to starting a gratin from raw potato again!!!!

Tried to buy an apremont from Savoie from a local wine bar to accompany the dish; they were out of it (said it's been very popular of late and I could only think REALLY? Here in dumb old Blaine? I should be the only person in this town who understands this wine!) and so I bought a Trousseau from Eyrie Vineyards in Oregon instead. (No, I don't need wine, but I wanted to give them some business so moot point.)

So total success--thank you so much for mentioning the dish and posting the recipe.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:12 pm

You're welcome! Sounds like a nice variant. Does havarti get more fragrant when it heats up? (It's pretty mild, though, come to think of it, the kind with caraway seeds could be ve-r-r-ry interesting here.)

Apremont is a big seller in Blaine! So urbane, so debonair. (Speaking of which, have you read Wink Lorch's new book?)

Trousseau? Pink wine???
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:You're welcome! Sounds like a nice variant. Does havarti get more fragrant when it heats up? (It's pretty mild, though, come to think of it, the kind with caraway seeds could be ve-r-r-ry interesting here.)

Apremont is a big seller in Blaine! So urbane, so debonair. (Speaking of which, have you read Wink Lorch's new book?)

Trousseau? Pink wine???

The cheese: No, wouldn't say so, not like raclette say, but it melts elegantly and isn't overly stretchy. No re Wink's new book. And the Trousseau was red.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Jenise wrote:And the Trousseau was red.

Did it tint the potatoes?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am

No, because it wasn't IN the potatoes. Note I said accompany--that means, what we drank with our dinner. I used an inexpensive pinot grigio in the potatoes.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Ah, thanks. Missed the word.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 am

Made another tonight. No Chaume this time. I used a combination of fontina val d'aosta, brie (from Illinois), and camembert (from Normandy). I like the combo of fontina and camembert; not sure the brie is pulling its weight here. And, alas, I used a bit too much wine so it's a little runnier than I like... such problems in quarantine. :lol: