Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Last night's dinner was very simple: a big bowl of tom kha gai and raw carrot rounds with Greek salad dressing.

My tasso shipment has arrived to jambalaya will go back into the rotation.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:05 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Last night's dinner was very simple: a big bowl of tom kha gai and raw carrot rounds with Greek salad dressing.

My tasso shipment has arrived to jambalaya will go back into the rotation.

-Paul W.

On my list of favorite soups.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 pm

I wish fresh galangal were easier to find. There was a Thai grocery in Boston's Chinatown that used to carry it on an irregular basis, but they closed some years back. Fresh ginger root tends to get increasingly fibrous and tough after it's harvested, and that problem is even worse with galangal. Fortunately galangal freezes well. importfood.com sells very fresh galangal. I buy a bunch of it, cut it into smaller chunks, and put it in the freezer. Galangal doesn't respond well to being stored in high-proof vodka in a jar in the fridge, which is the way I keep fresh ginger root.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Luckily, no problem here finding fresh galangal.

I have a suribachi set that includes a ceramic grater for ginger/wasabi. I peel fresh ginger with a spoon, grate it, and freeze it in 1 tsp portions. I also freeze odd pieces and fragments for use in flavoring while heating the oil in a wok and removing before stir-frying.

Both ginger and galangal are fairly easy to grow in a pot or garden if you want to go that route.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Tonight is Bob's pre-birthday dinner. For it, a 1st Growth Bordeaux (likely 2001 Haut Brion) and one of his favorite foods: hamburgers. These will be fresh local grass fed beef, muenster cheese, lightly pickled red onions, arugula and marinated roasted Hatch chiles. On the side, garlic-marinated green beans. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Bob drinks very nicely indeed!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 am

I've grown ginger before, but not galangal. At least here in New England, you have to grow ginger in a pot, not planted in the garden. The plant seems to survive OK planted directly in the soil, and even produces flowers, but the roots get infected by both black rot and nematodes and aren't suitable for culinary use.

I have a big jar of galangal-infused 100 proof vodka left over from my failed experiment in preserving galangal that way. I sometimes add a bit of it to give a hint of galangal flavor to a dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:27 pm

Jeff, ended up going with a Latour instead. For anyone who thinks that a great wine lack that is wasted on a burger, think again. First of all: no sauce. No sweet elements there at all but for the sweetness of the thick onion slices which were tamed by vinegar. The Kaiser roll and Muenster cheese are neutral, and the beef/arugula/green chile and oregano all play well into the lightly herbaceous flavors that are Latour's strength. Absolutely loved it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:22 pm

I just wish I had a few First Growths in my cellar. (If the food is not appropriate, you can always eat later.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:29 pm

I've decided we're going to drink all the good stuff. Have an '88 Y'Quem ready to go with tonight's apple tart. Yo ho yo ho the pirate's life for me!!!!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:45 am

Aaaaaaaaarrrrr.
Good wine is never wasted if shared with good people in good humour and preferably in good glasses.
Yeah drink the good stuff.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:30 am

The rest of last night's dinner:

Parmesan-crusted shrimp; sparkling Felsina sangiovese
Red butter lettuce w/Dijon vinaigrette, chives and a thick disc of crusted chevre cheese; white burgundy
Braised lamb shanks, red sauce, saffron risotto, purple broccoli sprouts; two '92 domestic cabs
Free-form apple tart; that d'Yquem
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:55 am

That sounds wonderful, Jenise. Please post a review of the '88 d'Yquem in the Wine Forum.

It's nice and sunny today, so I'll be outdoors grilling some sausage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm

Paul, it's there--just look for the Bob's birthday thread.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Senegalese Chicken Sassa, black rice, salad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Larry, when making black rice, do you always bring it to a boil and pour off/replace the liquid?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote:Larry, when making black rice, do you always bring it to a boil and pour off/replace the liquid?

It's all absorbed, but if any liquid remained, I'd pour it off. (I was using Forbidden Black Rice--really black.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:06 pm

I usually pour off and replace to avoid stains should a forbidden kernel land on my white blouse, but otherwise it's probably not needed.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:05 pm

My better half was in a bad mood yesterday and said she didn't like the black rice. So now I'm wondering was it the taste or her mood? It tastes earthy to me, like a brown rice (which she eats) or maybe more. It's certainly a striking color. What's your opinion of the taste?

The bummer is it's loaded with anthocyanins, which would be beneficial to her.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Back in Wisconsin and pleased to find some beautiful artichokes which I stuffed and baked. Anxious to use up some jamon serrano I altered my usual Italian take for artichoke stuffing using some minced ham, sweated onion and garlic, Spanish paprika, some dry harissa [ Mourad's recipe ], a few fresh sourdough turmeric breadcrumbs and some grated aged manchego. Quite tasty but somewhat overwhelmed the artichoke. Glad not to waste the ham and ordinarily not a fan of cooking serrano or prosciutto.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:43 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:My better half was in a bad mood yesterday and said she didn't like the black rice. So now I'm wondering was it the taste or her mood? It tastes earthy to me, like a brown rice (which she eats) or maybe more. It's certainly a striking color. What's your opinion of the taste?

The bummer is it's loaded with anthocyanins, which would be beneficial to her.

Pumpkin and I are big fans of wild rice. Trader Joe's has it at reasonable rates; I occasionally buy some hand-harvested for a treat.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:48 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Pumpkin and I are big fans of wild rice. Trader Joe's has it at reasonable rates; I occasionally buy some hand-harvested for a treat.

Me, too. I even have a jar of the genuine stuff, grown in Minnesota* and hand beaten into canoes that was given to me by a Native American who was head of the wild rice alliance there.

*To my knowledge, most wild rice is grown in CA. Actually it's a hybrid; the real stuff is tan and looks like grass seed, and it cooks in about 10 min--as you know.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:53 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Pumpkin and I are big fans of wild rice. Trader Joe's has it at reasonable rates; I occasionally buy some hand-harvested for a treat.

Me, too. I even have a jar of the genuine stuff, grown in Minnesota* and hand beaten into canoes that was given to me by a Native American who was head of the wild rice alliance there.

*To my knowledge, most wild rice is grown in CA. Actually it's a hybrid; the real stuff is tan and looks like grass seed, and it cooks in about 10 min--as you know.

Yes, I was surprised by the look but love the taste and texture.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Back in Wisconsin and pleased to find some beautiful artichokes which I stuffed and baked. Anxious to use up some jamon serrano I altered my usual Italian take for artichoke stuffing using some minced ham, sweated onion and garlic, Spanish paprika, some dry harissa [ Mourad's recipe ], a few fresh sourdough turmeric breadcrumbs and some grated aged manchego. Quite tasty but somewhat overwhelmed the artichoke. Glad not to waste the ham and ordinarily not a fan of cooking serrano or prosciutto.

I bought some beautiful artichokes last week that I hope to turn into stuffed ones--my brother loves them but neither he nor his husband have ever made them. I use Italian sausage, which I grind and combine with panko, sauteed shallots and parm. Glad I saw your note which reminded me that I have the artichokes in the outside fridge and need to buy ingredients today while out--we were gone for a long weekend and I am completely disconnected from the contents of my refrigerator(s).
PreviousNext