Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Lol, Jeff, on the 'hemlock' comment.

I'll be a-gulping that before you see me in the same room as stuffed cabbage.

A black manhattan mixes a very dark amaro in place of the vermouth element, add rye or bourbon.

Hm.

To Paul: I like the sound of that. I guess the rice flour makes for a crispy/crunchy bite on the wing?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am

Indeed, the rice flour gives you extra crunchy wings. Garlic dominates the flavor (only to be expected with a whole head of garlic in the marinade). The Thais serve this with a sweet and rather hot chile dipping sauce.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 am

Another bowl of cold sesame noodles. This time I upped the amount of grated fresh ginger and I swapped out half the red pepper flakes for szechuan peppercorns. Better. I think a swirl of harissa will be good next time.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 am

That sounds very close to the classic Sichuan strange-flavor seasonings. There are a lot of Sichuanese cold (room temperature) noodle dishes, dan-dan mian being the most famous. Sesame--seeds, toasted oil, and paste--is a frequent flavor component. I especially like these dishes on summer days when it's too hot to do cooking.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 am

Last night I seared some Argentinian red shrimp to serve over truffle-marinated white asparagus, only to find the shrimp fishy and therefore inedible. These were a frozen product from Trader Joe's. Never again. Oddly, Bob didn't taste what I did and ate his--interesting difference in our sensitivities.

Tonight I'm cooking for the Picky People, and doing a dish I suddenly remembered from long long ago wherein blue cheese and cream are added to a brown pan sauce to pour over pan-fried filet mignons. I happen to have two large 3" thick prime grade steaks to devote to the cause. Also going to try them out on a cocktail called a Paper Plane: 1/4 ea lemon juice, orange liqueur, amaro, and bourbon, using the orange-y Washington state amaro that swept the Italian challengers in our recent amaro tasting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:47 am

Paul Winalski wrote: I especially like these dishes on summer days when it's too hot to do cooking. -Paul W.

Speaking of Chinese food on hot days, do you ever make drunken chicken? I absolutely love that dish--it's another I'd always planned to get around to, but haven't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Jenise wrote:...find the shrimp fishy and therefore inedible. These were a frozen product from Trader Joe's. Never again. Oddly, Bob didn't taste what I did and ate his...

Those can be dangerous differences! It sounds like everything was ok, and Bob didn't get sick. But whenever I have any doubt with shellfish, I throw it away. Which can be an issue in the summer.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:40 am

Paul Winalski wrote:That sounds very close to the classic Sichuan strange-flavor seasonings.

Hm, thanks for the reference.

There are a lot of Sichuanese cold (room temperature) noodle dishes, dan-dan mian being the most famous. Sesame--seeds, toasted oil, and paste--is a frequent flavor component. I especially like these dishes on summer days when it's too hot to do cooking.

Sounds like a good idea to me, too.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Speaking of Chinese food on hot days, do you ever make drunken chicken? I absolutely love that dish--it's another I'd always planned to get around to, but haven't.

No, never made that one. At least not the Shanghai version. There are several Sichuan cold chicken dishes that start out by marinating and then steaming the chicken. I usually do a shortcut and use one of those supermarket rotisserie birds as the source for the chicken meat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:06 pm

From having it in Chinese restaurants, would presume the chicken is marinated after cooking, but I could be wrong. I think I mentioned here once ordering it in a Vancouver restaurant and being told no they wouldn't let me order it, because white people don't like it. I was sure what he meant was that many non-Chinese order it not realizing it's a cold dish and were disappointed, but he didn't even bother to find out if I knew that or not. He just said no. I didn't bother to argue--but I didn't go back to that restaurant!

Speaking of Asian food, tonight I'm doing Chicken With Basil and Mint since I happen to have a lot of both on hand.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Jenise mentioned a savory scone earlier, which made me realize I hadn't made scones for a while. So breakfast today was scones (not savory), fried eggs, and bacon. Simple but tasty.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Today I'm making a tomato and olive foccacia from a Milk Street recipe that intrigues me, wherein the batter is so wet you essentially pour it into the pan. I long long ago had a crust that I'm guessing would have been from such a recipe and I've been dying to find out how to replicate it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Sounds good. A high-hydration foccacia should have a really good texture.

How do you like Milk Street?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am

Shangha-style drunken chicken is a surprisingly simple dish. Indeed, the chicken is marinated overnight after steaming. There's a lot of shaoxing wine in the marinade (that's the drunken part). Scallions, ginger, and ground black and white pepper are the seasonings during the steaming.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Sounds good. A high-hydration foccacia should have a really good texture.

How do you like Milk Street?

That foccacia was the best I've ever had anywhere!!!! Nicely bubbled moist crumb, outstanding crunchy texture after a 17 minute bake, and exceptional flavors from the two toppings plus oregano, fennel seed (not in the recipe, my addition), maldon salt and pepper. Why would I ever eat pizza slathered in cheese if I could have this? This is the foccacia of my dreams.

And to Paul re drunken chicken: definitely something I'll make sure I get around to this summer. Chinese food is awesome across the border but totally sucks here in Bellingham. The food we want we have to make ourselves.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:12 pm

Great! And fennel seeds go well with tomatoes.

I just discovered that fennel pollen is sold as a spice. A bit expensive but it sounds intriguing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:58 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I just discovered that fennel pollen is sold as a spice. A bit expensive but it sounds intriguing.

I had/used it once at a class I did at the Culinary Institute, and was so impressed I ordered some later. But what I had at the CIA was a fine golden powder, and what I ordered turned out to be tiny brown twigs. Never ended up using it. Obviously, there are vast qualitative differences. Beware!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:49 pm

When I first moved to Nashua, NH back in 1980, the area had the most ghastly collection of Chinese restaurants I'd ever seen. Not only were they all Chinese-Polynesian, they were bad Chinese-Polynesian. At one of the better ones (still in business), I was served a cold pu-pu platter. I never went there again. The worst was a place called Cathay Island that didn't just have bad food but was downright dangerous. A year or so after I arrived in NH they were shut down by the health department. The new tenant (an excellent Chinese restaurant called Ming Garden) had to strip the kitchen walls down to the cinder blocks and have them steam-cleaned. I used to go to the bar in one of the worst of the places because they had a sit-down Ms. Pac-Man machine. I was there one time drinking a mai-tai and playing Ms. Pac-Man when I felt hungry and ordered an egg roll. Big mistake. It gave me heartburn.

The Chinese restaurant scene around here has improved vastly and it's mainly Mandarin-Sichuan or hybrid Chinese-Japanese now.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Jenise wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I just discovered that fennel pollen is sold as a spice. A bit expensive but it sounds intriguing.

I had/used it once at a class I did at the Culinart Institute, and was so impressed I ordered some later. But what I had at the CIA was a fine yellow powder, and what I got when I ordered some was tiny brown twigs. Never ended up using it. Obviously, there are vast qualitative differences. Beware!

How would you describe the flavor?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:52 pm

The powder: excellent. We were using it in ravioli stuffed with goat cheese and potatoes. The twigs: nothing like fennel I've ever known.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jenise wrote:

I had/used it once at a class I did at the Culinart Institute, and was so impressed I ordered some later. But what I had at the CIA was a fine yellow powder, and what I got when I ordered some was tiny brown twigs. Never ended up using it. Obviously, there are vast qualitative differences. Beware!

How would you describe the flavor?

I have fennel pollen here and use it often in risottos. I got a sample from a local chef and liked it enough to order a larger tin from Amazon when his supply ran out. His was a little more subtle, the Amazon batch a little stronger, but it smells/tastes like ... fennel!

Interested to hear Larry's thoughts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Robin, was yours a powder?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:15 am

I had a fennel pollen phase several years ago, been awhile, need to order more.
Jenise, it sounds like you got the actual pollen. Sometimes shipped that way to preserve freshness, you just need to run it in your spice grinder. Much better than way actually (equivalent of peppercorns vs ground pepper)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I think those tiny brown twigs were the anthers from the flower. As previously observed, like peppercorns vs. ground pepper.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext