Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bhajing It Up

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Bhajing It Up

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 pm

I am always on the lookout for nibbles that work with wine - I've even done (and will possibly repeat) whole events that feature a particular type of wine along with some sort of nibbly accompaniment. This year, the border Gods being willing, I intend to do a Rose event with everyone bringing a pink wine and a nibble.

We've been doing take out more than we normally do because of the health situation and one of our favourite local sources is an Indian restaurant that does very nice onion Bhajia - basically sliced onions dredged in flour and spices and deep fried crispy. It has long struck me that this might be a perfect nibbly for red, rose or white wines but I haven' got around to trying it yet. Anyone have experience/advice on this?

Simple recipe here if anyone wants to try them https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/onion-bhajis-raita

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bhajing It Up

by Jenise » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Onion Bhaji (no 'a') was the standout item in a batch of wonderfulness that was my very first Indian Take-Out meal when I moved to England years ago. It has been the hardest to get since. Though many Indian restaurants do fried blobs of potato+ other vegetables they usually call pakoras, the onion-only fritter is pretty hard to come by, at least in America. I would be ready to declare rose a perfect accompaniament if I can come up and share that afternoon with you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm

Jenise wrote: I would be ready to declare rose a perfect accompaniament if I can come up and share that afternoon with you!

That was in fact the plan......
:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 pm

Looks wonderful.

It annoys me, though, when recipes call for chilli powder (using the British spelling) w/o explanation. Do they mean powdered chillies (only chillies) or chilli powder (chillies and typically with cumin, oregano, garlic and salt)? There is a difference. :?:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Here is a more detailed recipe with some discussion

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ion-bhajis

And a video of how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQkdO2bamQ&t=1s

PS - all this Indian food talk has us (SWMBO ad myself) hungry for it - we are going to do take-away tonight and will include an order of bhaji!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:03 pm

Our son spent a couple of days with us at the weekend

He showed me a photo on his phone of some onion bhajis he'd made. They looked pretty good, and they didn't require deep fat frying: he baked them in his oven

He said he'd thinly sliced an onion, salted it then left it for a while to extract water.

He'd then squeezed water out and mixed it with gram flour and a little oil and used hands to shape into small balls which he'd put on baking tray and put in oven at high heat,
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:12 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
It annoys me, though, when recipes call for chilli powder (using the British spelling) w/o explanation. Do they mean powdered chillies (only chillies) or chilli powder (chillies and typically with cumin, oregano, garlic and salt)? There is a difference. :?:

Use whichever you prefer. :D

Every Indian restaurant's recipe is different. However, I haven't found any chilli heat in any onion bhaji I've had, so I wouldn't use either - just spices maybe.

I'm assuming they mean the first, because the second - which I use in Chilli (sans) Carne - always come with a heat qualifier, e.g Hot Chilli Powder or Mild Chilli Powder. Gosh, the BBC recipe additionally adds a green chilli.....

Don't get me wrong, I love chillies, but Mrs M doesn't and yet she adores restaurant onion bhajis - she wouldn't if they were made with chillies
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 am

And Peter, here in the States chili powders are not identical in concept. Get anywhere close to Cincinnati and it will often or usually, not sure which, contain cinnamon. In Los Angeles, you'd be stoned to death for that. :)

The Bhaji recipes look good. Bill, I appreciate the one from the Guardian--I *love* Felicity. Her style is unique--full of research and comparisons from multiple sources. And here she references my friend Simon Majumdar (I say this loosely, as he would not I'm sure refer to his friend Jenise as he has many fans), but it's nonetheless true that I exchange ideas occasionally with him on Facebook and two summers ago almost had him convinced to come Dungeness crabbing --he ended up going for lobsters in Maine, imagine that!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Testing for SQL error

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi, Peter! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:01 am

This is the bhaji recipe my son sent.

He says

I’m sure I got the recipe off the internet somewhere but here is what I do:

Ingredients:

3 large onions

Sea salt (3 or 4 grinds/generous pinches)

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp ginger paste (or 2 1/2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled & grated)

¼ tsp ground turmeric

¾ tsp ground coriander

Fresh coriander (finely chopped to make 3 tbsp)

¼ tsp hot chilli powder

100g gram flour

1 ½ tbsp rapeseed oil

Instructions to make 6 bhajis:

1: Peel, halve and finely slice the onions. In a large mixing bowl mix well the sliced onions with the salt and leave to sweat for up to 3 hours. (in a rush can be left for as little as 30 mins, but you can’t rush perfection )

2: Once rested, squeeze the onions to release the water (within the bowl) and then add the cumin seeds, ginger, turmeric, ground and fresh coriander and chilli powder. Give everything a good mix up.

3: Sift the gram flour over the onion mixture and mix well. The water released in step two should provide enough liquid to form a batter and stick the onions together, if a bit dry add a splash of water. Mix in the rapeseed oil so everything is evenly coated.

4: Heat the oven to 180oC (fan), using clean hands make 6 equal sized balls packed tightly and place on a baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes until nicely browned.

I asked him about the chilli powder, he said

Theoretically i think it should be pure chilli powder, but I use the Tesco pot

I looked at it on the Tesco supermarket site
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /251625429

Ingredients are list there as
Chilli Powder (83%), Salt, Cumin Seed Powder (6%), Garlic Powder (3%), Dried Oregano, Flavouring, Anti-caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide).

But even with 100% powdered chilli, 1/4 of a teaspoon between 6 large bhajis is not going to be felt.

I know you say to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe but apparently we also pronounce oregano differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijioOIBzpg
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Peter May wrote:I know you say to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe but apparently we also pronounce oregano differently.

Good grief.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Peter May wrote:I know you say to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe but apparently we also pronounce oregano differently.

Good grief.

And herb.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 pm

But even with 100% powdered chilli, 1/4 of a teaspoon between 6 large bhajis is not going to be felt.

My thoughts exactly when I read that amount. I'd go with a tsp of that mix or use about l/2 tsp straight cayenne or even more chile flakes. But I like heat.

I know you say to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe but apparently we also pronounce oregano differently.

Yes, and we say it the right way!!! o-RAY-gunno!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:51 pm

I must admit that we in the Great White North also pronounce oregano the same way as Jenise stated. You may put it down to an example of cultural imperialism on the part of that smaller country just to our South. (They seem to have a disbelief issue with Texas being smaller than three of our provinces and two territories)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 am

Yes, and we say it the right way!!! o-RAY-gunno!

Silly me thinking the E in Oregano was pronounced EE
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:02 am

Larry Greenly wrote:

And herb.

That's a really interesting one. The 'h' is pronounced in UK and not in US

It is one of those words we took from the French, like hotel where the initial 'h' is not pronounced and it stayed like that until the 19th century when 'h' began to be pronounced in Britain.

So America is using the original pronunciation.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Picked up some chickpea flour - intend to try some bhaji recipes - think they might match well with sparkling wine, for instance (as long as I moderate the chile use).

PS - some recipes call for a sauce that is hottish. I intend to do it using a cucumber mint raita that will be more wine friendly.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Tamarind sauce for fried things, please. Or just a squeeze of lemon.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Jeff, I personally would avoid tamarind with a delicate white wine as it tends to be either too sweet or a tad strong, though I am sure it is a teeter totter one could successfully balance with some practice. The raita is a minty cooling sauce that can offset any undue heat (you never quite know how hot a given chili pepper is going to be until you taste the finished recipe.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am

Onion Bhaji.pdf

My son sent a PDF with photo's of him preparing his recipe onion bhaji, attached to this post

Let me know if you try it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks Peter. That is definitely something I will make as I try to find non frying methods for such items. Will be quite tasty with the seasonings.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:51 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Jeff, I personally would avoid tamarind with a delicate white wine as it tends to be either too sweet or a tad strong, though I am sure it is a teeter totter one could successfully balance with some practice. The raita is a minty cooling sauce that can offset any undue heat (you never quite know how hot a given chili pepper is going to be until you taste the finished recipe.

This is where a good Kabinett Riesling comes in handy!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am

Excellent. Thank you, Son-of-Peter.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Jeff, I personally would avoid tamarind with a delicate white wine as it tends to be either too sweet or a tad strong, though I am sure it is a teeter totter one could successfully balance with some practice. The raita is a minty cooling sauce that can offset any undue heat (you never quite know how hot a given chili pepper is going to be until you taste the finished recipe.

This is where a good Kabinett Riesling comes in handy!

Yup - and some years ago we did a Riesling offline at a Cambodian restaurant (think Jenise attended) and the Rieslings went perfectly with pretty much all of the food, whether sweet, hot or both.
Next