Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dried limes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Dried limes

by Christina Georgina » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm

I've mentioned before the so called Mediterranean Market in my area. Run by Turkish immigrants it is now packed to the gills for Ramadan. The unusual products, trucked from importers in Chicago are a delight to curious western cooks. Awhile back a bag of dried limes leapt into my cart. I'm a sucker for things I never heard of or don't know how to use. Well, after reading Ottolenghi and others I am sold on using these orbs in soups and stews. https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/spi ... ried-limes. html://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/ ... ried-limes. There are lots of recipes online
My market has both the dark-smoked kind and the bright yellow- unsmoked. Headed there today to try the unsmoked. My Palestinian red lentil soup is a killer with the dried lime.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Dried limes

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Sounds delicious, Christina! I have to confess, though, that when I saw the title the first time I thought it said Dried Limas, and I was coming here to tell you how much I love Rancho Gordo. 8)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:48 pm

I love Rancho Gordo as well ! They don't have red lentils but their black lentils are terrific. Dried limes add a whole new dimension to dried bean preparation.....even limas !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:20 pm

I'm a sucker for things I never heard of or don't know how to use.

Ditto. Funny just last week someone had me kind of flabbergasted at the fact that she's never cooked swiss chard--sees it in the store all the time but doesn't know what to do with it. Then came the inevitable "My mother never made it." My response was that this was precisely why she should try it--it's always there, people buy it, what do they know that she doesn't? I can't imagine living my life within the confines of my childhood experience.

That said, I've never used dried limes, but I don't have a cool mediterranean market like you do. Today I'm checking out the Sikh convenience shop because I'll be in that end of town.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm

Jenise wrote:I can't imagine living my life within the confines of my childhood experience.

Lipton instant soup and Chef Boyardee ravioli in a can? Nein, nyet, non, na, ne, nix, nope!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am

Jenise wrote: I can't imagine living my life within the confines of my childhood experience.

I can't imagine living my life within the confines of my experiences up until now!

But maybe that's a personality thing 'Openness to experiences' and all...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:29 pm

I so agree with you, Rahsaan. It's become a bit of a trope for me as I hear way too much "I wasn't raised on that" as a reason, or excuse, for not eating that item now. From a 20 year old I get it, from a 50 year old--not so much. As if all the rest of us only eat food we were raised on!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:05 pm

So, trip to the Sikh convenience store: not much there. About five different types of dried dal, snacks, a few seasoning items in bags large enough to be more than I'll ever use, including everything I've used up until now, in my lifetime. I did buy a box of methi because I'm not happy with the grassy flavor of the last one I bought (from Amazon). Hope it's better. I also bought a small bottle of mustard oil, which I love and have run out of a local source of. Best potato salad ingredient ever. Also bought a small box of tandoori marsala with the most delicious instructions on the back which call for lightly pressure cooking some chicken, then slashing the skin and rubbing into this seasoning mixed with a few other things. Then: "Place the embalmed chicken on an oven tray...." !!!!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Indeed, the translations can be hilarious. The Med Market is so tiny but the merchandise has a quick turnover and is not static so when I go I spend far more time there simply reading labels for origin, ingredients and asking the clerks what and how to use. Many labels are not in English. If they can identify the script I can scan with my phone and get an idea.
Mamma Mia !