This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RC: Broccoli and rice soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

RC: Broccoli and rice soup

by John Tomasso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:50 pm

I want to post this because I whipped it up yesterday for my mom, who isn't taking much food these days. It tasted pretty good, so I want to remember what I did.

I made a quick chicken broth out of wings, unpeeled carrots and onions, a bay leaf, a stalk of celery and a few sprigs of parsley. After straining, I returned it to the fire, and added a head of broccoli, cut up, and allowed it to simmer until quite soft. I also added a peeled potato, thinking that it would help to thicken the soup a bit. When the vegetables were quite soft, I fished them out and buzzed them in the blender (no my parents circa 50's kitchen doesn't have a stick blender), returning the puree into the soup. It still wasn't thick enough for me, so I made a quick roux in a skillet, ladled some of the soup into it, and then poured that thickened soup back into the main pot. After seasoning with salt and pepper, I added some cooked rice.
It was a very satisfying and tasty bowl of soup.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RC: Broccoli and rice soup

by Jenise » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

JOHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Good to see you, old friend. And that does look tasty--I am very guilty of not thinking to use leftover rice in soups, though Campbell's Chicken and Rice soup was a childhood favorite. It's good to be reminded.

So your mother's living with you now?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Jenise wrote:So your mother's living with you now?

Nice to see you, too. I'm actually coming back here (NY) every fourth week and living with them to help - she's pretty ill. It's my job to keep everybody fed.
The upside is, I've been eating quite a bit of pizza at all my favorite joints.

Hey - I just noticed the "Premier nous sommes, WLDG ne change" tag at the top of the page - very clever. Who came up with that Moutonesque riff?[/i]
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:19 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Hey - I just noticed the "Premier nous sommes, WLDG ne change" tag at the top of the page - very clever. Who came up with that Moutonesque riff?

Guilty! :oops:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

You're a good son

by Jenise » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:21 am

John Tomasso wrote:It's my job to keep everybody fed.
The upside is, I've been eating quite a bit of pizza at all my favorite joints.

I remember that your mother had been ill, but not that you've now settled into a care routine. I'm sure it's a hard time, but how wonderful that you're able to be there for them. You know what, I spent five days in NYC in January, and was in one little deli/market that caused me to look around and think that this was "just like the market John Tomasso talked about growing up in." I related to it through your descriptions.

One of our meals was deliberately a neighborhood Italian joint (in the meat packing district). What a different world it is than the California style Italian I'm familiar with--for one, that al dente is a lot more dente than you'll ever find it on the west coast. Interesting experience, and everybody working there looked like people I've seen on The Sopranos--a lot more well-dressed grown men than one typically sees working in a tiny restaurant. And no family resemblance. Well, at least THAT kind of family. :)