This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RC: Tandoori Spiced Chicken Thighs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RC: Tandoori Spiced Chicken Thighs

by Jenise » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:31 pm

I've tried a number of different recipes for home versions of tandoori chicken over the years, but though all were good none managed to match the incredible taste I remember of the best tandoori chicken I've had. This one, finally, nailed it, even without the blistering heat of the hot-clay charcoal tandoor. I use chicken thighs and legs exclusively. This recipe made enough spice paste to successfully marinate six legs and four thighs.

In a food processor, blend:

1/4 of a large onion
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup yoghurt (sour cream will do nicely, too)
1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp salt
2 tsp good Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp each turmeric, cumin, cayenne and black pepper
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground coriander

Blend until smooth, then add to ziploc bag with chicken parts. Marinate for 8 to 24 hours, then broil on a rack about 5 to 6 inches from the heat element until cooked through and slightly singed, about 18-20 minutes.
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: RC: Tandoori Spiced Chicken Thighs

by Saina » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Thanks Jenise, sounds lovely! I rather like the dish also, so I'm happy to have a recipe. But as I can't use any lactose, what would you use instead of the yoghurt or sour cream?

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:42 pm

No lactose? That's too bad--are there no lactocse free yoghurts? I was thinking I'd seen some soy based, but I could be wrong. Failing those items, I'd probably use olive oil as a carrier (as well as tenderizer) for the spice paste, and double the quantity of lemon juice.

I'm making this for dinner tonight which is what made me think to post the recipe, and though I'm going to mix my cuisines and serve it with a cool Taboulhi instead of any traditional Indian accompaniaments. Somehow, those Arab flavors are very appealing today.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 am

Jenise wrote:No lactose? That's too bad--are there no lactocse free yoghurts? I was thinking I'd seen some soy based, but I could be wrong. Failing those items, I'd probably use olive oil as a carrier (as well as tenderizer) for the spice paste, and double the quantity of lemon juice.

Thanks for the tips - I do occasionally use soy based products, but they just don't taste the same. Frankly, I would most often rather be without "cream" at all than use them. We do have low lactose milk products but my condition is so bad that I can't use even them. I'll try the olive oil + lemon juice and let you know how it goes!

Otto
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Jenise wrote:No lactose? That's too bad--are there no lactocse free yoghurts? I was thinking I'd seen some soy based, but I could be wrong. Failing those items, I'd probably use olive oil as a carrier (as well as tenderizer) for the spice paste, and double the quantity of lemon juice.

Thanks for the tips - I do occasionally use soy based products, but they just don't taste the same. Frankly, I would most often rather be without "cream" at all than use them. We do have low lactose milk products but my condition is so bad that I can't use even them. I'll try the olive oil + lemon juice and let you know how it goes!

Otto

Did you always have this intolerance, or was it something that developed in adulthood? I ask because I'm relatively unfamiliar with the disorder, but what I have gathered is that it's relatively rare for someone as young as you are to have this extreme an intolerance.
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you always have this intolerance, or was it something that developed in adulthood? I ask because I'm relatively unfamiliar with the disorder and realizing how young you are--as I understand the problem, it's rare for someone as young as you to have this extreme an intolerance.

It developed only just recently actually! It probably has to do more with the way milk is processed in Finland, as when I'm travelling the Near East I can eat limited amounts of food with milk products used in them. Actually most European adults do have this intolerance though not quite as extreme as I do. Mine is probably genetical: my mother is like this also.

Otto
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Lactose Intolerance

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:21 pm

Read Harold McGee on this topic -very interesting species genetics. One should be able to tolerate milk products that have already had their lactose metabolized - some yogurts and cheeses included.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Lactose Intolerance

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:57 pm

All human infants secrete into their guts the enzyme lactase, which splits the disaccharide lactose into its component monosaccharides glucose and galactose. Most mammals, humans included, stop secreting lactase after being weaned off of mother's milk. Caucasians are unusual in that they tend to retain lactase secretion into adulthood. This means that they can digest the lactose in milk and milk products. Most other adult humans, particularly blacks and orientals, stop secreting lactase as adults and hence the lactose is left for bacteria to consume. The bacteria produce gas and other gastric irritants, the result being not unlike the effects of consuming beans (which contain other indigestible polysaccharides). This is why Chinese and other far eastern cuisines are practically devoid of dishes containing milk products (they tend to use soy-based analogs instead).

Even among those genetically disposed to continue lactase production in adulthood, the ability can be lost at any time, resulting in varying degrees of gastric distress after consuming dairy products.

Yogurt made by active culture is often consumable by those with lactose intolerance because the bacteria in the yogurt will have consumed or broken down all the lactose.

Here in the US there's a product on the market called "Lactaid" that is a lactase preparation. Taken before or right after consuming a lactose-containing meal, it allows most lactose intolerant folks to enjoy milk products without distress. But for the most severely lactose intolerant or allergic, there's no alternative to avoidance, I'm afraid.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:06 am

Regarding substitutions for the yoghurt or cream in the tandoori chicken dish:

Just omit the yoghurt, but double the lemon juice to make up for the lost moisture and acidity. It might be necessary to baste the chicken pieces, too, since they will be missing some moisture from the marinade.

-Paul W.