The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Amity Hills Horror ;^)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Amity Hills Horror ;^)

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 am

• 2021 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 18 Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/5/2024)
    Curiosity got the best of me, and the first thing I will say is do not let it get the best of you. This wine needs a lot of time. It has the depth to handle several years of aging, so no worries about putting it aside for a while. That said the wine is compelling, even given its current colicky infant stage of life. Fruit is darker than in most of the Goodfellow Pinots I have tried, though it should be noted that most of those have not been Eola-Amity AVA wines. What is striking is the tannin profile, which skews more towards a stern Burgundy (e.g., Pommard or a tight Gevrey). I like that as I prefer some tannic structure in Pinot Noir, so long as it has the stuffing to age, which this wine does. I'll defer opening any more of this for at least 5-7 years, maybe longer if I can exercise any of my limited patience.
Decisions are made by those who show up