The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Uncle Samsara

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Uncle Samsara

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 03, 2024 2:25 pm

• 2014 Samsara Pinot Noir Rancho la Viña Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this was the first of the 2014s to be poured, and alongside the 2021 Rancho la Vina it was an excellent way to track how the wines evolve. Bricking a little bit on the edge, I expected the wine to be more developed, but in general it still had very fresh red fruit, and retained some of that floral stem influence. The balance was excellent, and the flavors fanned out well on the finish. There really wasn't anything to quibble about, except maybe a dash of heat on the finish, but even that subsided after the wine was in my glass for a few extra minutes. If this is how the wines age then they have potential for excellent longevity.
  • 2021 Samsara Pinot Noir Rancho la Viña Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this was actually the first wine poured, and stylistically was in the same vein as the other Pinot Noirs. Immediate hit of red fruit and floral on the nose. I looked at the host and asked if he knew if they used any whole cluster, and he said yes. No excess or green element from it, just an added level of aromatic complexity. Like all the Pinots, this was light on tannin, but had significant acid structure. Open and enjoyable, the translucent, pale red color didn't reflect the concentration of flavor which was significant, without any sense of being overdone or heavy. Excellent wine that has a long-term future.
  • 2014 Samsara Pinot Noir Las Hermanas - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this bottle was just as good as the prior two, but had the unfortunate luck to be served alongside the 2014 Lotus which was amazing. From a development standpoint this was exactly in line with the 2014 Rancho la Vina. There was a bit of additional spice in this wine, which actually felt a touch out of place with the overall profile. Anyway, I would never turn down a glass of this, it just got its ass kicked by the Lotus.
  • 2014 Samsara Pinot Noir Lotus - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this was the final Pinot poured, and it stood head and shoulders above the three really fine wines that preceded it. I kept some of this wine in an extra glass through the rest of the tasting, and kept going back to it, even while drinking the Syrah flight, and it stayed clear of the pack. Still only medium bodied, this had an extra level of depth - not richness, just depth. The fruit was stronger, the acid structure perfectly polished - the wine was put together like a race car. There was not a single thing out of place, and everyone at the table had this as their wine of the night. Amazing wine that has a long, long future ahead of it.

Syrah notes to follow
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Uncle Samsara

by Jenise » Sun May 05, 2024 10:21 am

They sound great. So many good California wineries these days, this is one I haven't had anything from and likely never will--makes me sad!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 05, 2024 11:49 am

It's 99.9% certain I will never buy a bottle from them, as much as I would like to (oh that Lotus). I just have way too much wine already.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 05, 2024 1:18 pm

And the Syrahs...

• 2017 Samsara Syrah Zotovich Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons (e.g., this one), this was the first of the Syrahs, and for most of the group (except me) their favorite. It showed the most roasted meat & bacon fat character, and a lot of dark berry fruit. Needs some additional time to settle down into a groove for me, as the edges were showing more than in the older wines. Tons of promise though.
  • 2014 Samsara Syrah Melville Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this was my favorite of the Syrahs by a fair margin. It almost beat out the Lotus Pinot as wine of the night for me, but I thought the Lotus was the more complex wine. This was the deepest of the four Syrahs we tasted, and had all the classic Syrah virtues. Where it stood out for me was the seamless texture. There was certainly tannin, but it was beautifully integrated into the wine. This feels like a bottle that could age effortlessly for a couple of decades before ever starting to decline. Magnificent wine.
  • 2014 Samsara Syrah Turner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this came after the Melville Syrah, which was a tough act to follow, at least for me. Tons of black pepper in this wine, as well as roasted meat and dark fruit. I thought this was an excellent wine, but it stood in the shadow of the prior wine for me. I suspect if I had it on its own with a nice hunk of steak I would be thrilled.
  • 2014 Samsara Syrah Om - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/2/2024)
    Part of an evening of Samsara Pinot and Syrah, focused on the 2014 vintage with a couple of add-ons, this was the final Syrah poured, and while it didn't deliver a knockout blow to the competition the way the Lotus Pinot did to the other Pinots, this was no shrinking violet. Very Syrah, with lots of bloody meat character, some dark berry, and a hint of smoke all buffered by firm tannins. This seemed the most in need of additional aging to show all its cards. Excellent finish to an overall outstanding group of wines from Samara.